Dream Come True, sorta

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

One of my dreams, as a guitarist, came true this weekend. Since I started playing guitar a few years ago I really want to play in a band and preferably I wanted to play in a worship band.. one of the rockin contemporary new church kind.. I know its not the typical dream but I am older and really its all I have wanted to do for two years.

Two weeks ago we met with a couple that is starting a new church in our area and the wifey and i have been looking for one. Then the pastors wife noticed I played guitar via my facebook page. Saturday she asked if I wanted to play in the band. REALLY :shock:

The only thing is that I am typically a strummer/singer. I have played very little lead and that is what they are needing my help with. I am sure I can do it, I am just not really as comfortable with it.

Anyway, thought I would share my dream come true and I'm open to suggestions on how to practice for playing lead rather than rhythm. We start practice in a couple weeks. 8)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@redbeard)
Trusted Member

Jim,

I am a beginner so no lead suggestions, just wanted to post my congratulations on getting an opportunity to fulfill one of your dreams.

Knock em dead.

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

congrats! That's something I've wanted to ever since I picked up guitar. Had two opportunities for it to happen now, and they both sorta just fell through.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Congratulations on the dream-come-true and having the opportunity to play & worship.

There will be more constructive advice for leads, but you can practice around backing tracks.

I don't do it much - I just make up my own licks; but you will work around scales in the appropriate key.

I think it is still a matter of creativity and it's up to you where you want to go with it, outside of the scale routine.

I like a certain amount of frilly, melodic and harmonic (2 or more string) lead, which I can neither explain or execute like the good 'ol players. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Congratulations Geoo! That's wonderful.
My only suggestion for lead would be to get some coaching from a teacher or someone in your area who has experience with this,
best wishes :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. I restart guitar lessons Thursday. Focusing on this type of guitar. Cant wait to get home and play.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I've heard you play, you'll do great. Just relax & have fun. Good luck with your lessons too. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

Congratulations! I can play lead,but in small doses. The blues scale is what I play.It feels natural and sounds great!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Jim, I'm doing the same thing. Not sure it was a dream of mine but it is where I want to be now.

I'm thinking....if I can do it, anyone can.

I also found that I don't play the conventional chords like are listed on the charts, if you are going to use charts. There are a lot of ideas that opened up to me as I worked through learning what to do for Sunday services.

I know it'll come to you and you'll shine through when the time comes.

Good luck, Jim...there's real satisfaction at the end of the day.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote