Electric 12-string question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

I just picked up an early birthday present -- a Schecter electric 12 string. What's typical for tuning on electric 12 strings? Do you keep them tuned down half a step and use a capo to raise it to standard tuning, or are these guitars sturdy enough to keep tuned to standard pitch? Or do you tune to standard pitch for playing and then tune them down half a step to store them?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I asked this question about 18 months ago, although it was an acoustic 12-string not electric - general consensus of opinion seemed to be, standard tuning is OK.....most 12-strings these days are built to take the extra tension......

As as side note, I loved the idea of using a 12-string on my own recordings - but in practise, I never had time to get used to it - i was too busy trying to get better at rhythm (think I'm getting there) lead (hmmmmmmmmmm) and bass (definitely getting better)........

I sold my twelve-string, I was playing regularly in a pub jam at the time, got almost as much for it as I paid for it - so I was lucky there.....

Anyway, Tim, good luck with the new Schecter - have fun!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Like Vic said, it should be fine. I wouldn't go putting .012s on it though; maybe stick to .010s or even .009s.

My acoustic 12 string I still keep in D Standard and use a capo; just out of habit though.

ReplyQuote