Clear all

Elixir strings...long life?

14 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I put a set of Elixir-Nanoweb lights on my Takamine three months ago, and I need to change them already.
I guess I'd have about 90-100 hours on the strings.
They were nice and loud, good tone when I put 'em on, but now are discolored and go out of tune excessively, even when heat and humidity are not issues.
The notes also 'decay' too fast, as strings do when at their end of useful life.

This is not "long life", especially for Canadian 25 bucks a set, I get longer life from D'Add's.

Any comments from current or former Elixir users ?
Thanks and regards.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I have used Elixers on my electric guitar for a couple of years now (more than one set, of course :wink:), and I have found that they have pretty good life. They sound really good at the begining, but I experienced a decline in their play-ability around 2.5 to 3 months after putting them on, which is pretty normal for any strings, I think. But the difference was that, even though they didn't sound as great, they were still 'playable' for another couple months. I think that is their advantage: they might not sound the best, especially when they're not still fairly new, but they get the job done for a long period of time. If you're used to playing really nice sounding strings, I can see how that could be problem. But as a poor college student, I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the moment :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member

I think D'Addario EXP's are better than Elixers, but that's, like, my opinion man.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I get http://www.webstrings.com , cause they are cheap. $3.00 cdn a set when you order < 12. I figure at that price I can play 6 sets before I get to 1 elixer set. There is no way elixer strings last at full tone 6x as long. Plus the webstrings die at about the same time as D'Addario strings so I change them about once a month on my acoustic.

Oh yeh and its only 5% shipping cost to Canada, free to the states I believe. (worked out to $2 shipping on $40 worth of strings. Which is alot of strings at $3.) Plus they shipped quickly even to Canada which takes forever to get anything from the states.

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

I like the sound and feel of Elixirs, and I change them every 6 months or so. I play almost every day, but not for a long time each time, which means 100-200 hours of playing between each change. Your 100 hours seem OK. The real question is if you like these strings or not. They're rather expensive here in Europe too, about 20 euros a set.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I bought Martin 12s at around €3.50 a set. So, for the same price as one set of Elixirs, I can have 5 sets of Martins.
The only Elixirs I've played were on a Larrivee and neither of them impressed me - maybe it was the combination, but other Larrivees, which didn't have Elixirs, sounded better.
On my electrics, I use Ernie Ball's Slinky 9s, which were about the same price as the Martins.
It means changing strings more often than with Elixirs, but I can also clean it more often.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I get good use from Elixirs on my acoustic. I use ghs burnished strings on my electrics. But I've no complaints about the elixirs.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've been pleased with the set of Elixirs (Polyweb) that were factory-installed on my Alvarez 12-string. Going on two months now and still sound good. Love the slick feel, too - very little string squeak. Prices have come down in the US - these are now US$17.99 at Musicians Friend.

For me, coated strings (I usually use D'ad EXPs) last around 2 to 3 times as long as uncoated strings, and I don't mind paying the price if it means I don't have to change strings as often. I'm lucky to get three weeks out of uncoated strings with daily play.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I use D'ads on my electric, and Martin's on my acoustics, and they both do all right for life, I change them alot becasue I can, I bought them in bulk, but I have no intentions on paying more for elixirs, I've never been into them much, not my kind of string.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I get http://www.webstrings.com , cause they are cheap. $3.00 cdn a set when you order < 12. I figure at that price I can play 6 sets before I get to 1 elixer set. There is no way elixer strings last at full tone 6x as long. Plus the webstrings die at about the same time as D'Addario strings so I change them about once a month on my acoustic.

Oh yeh and its only 5% shipping cost to Canada, free to the states I believe. (worked out to $2 shipping on $40 worth of strings. Which is alot of strings at $3.) Plus they shipped quickly even to Canada which takes forever to get anything from the states.

Thanks for the link! I've been needing some new strings. Can't beat the price for the same strings as the major string labels... 8)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hey, this site looks like a great deal for all kinds of strings. A Fender set is $3.59... Elixer's are $12.99...

http://www.guitargoods.com/Guitar-Strings.html

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@crims0n)

My story for Elixer stings is.

Acoustic... Loooooooooooooooong Life... Made a set last almost 5 months. (With excessive copulsive cleaning). Sounded great until I threw them out :D

Electric... Not so long... Every set sounded great but broke with very little use :cry:

Here is what I say abput the price tho. Most walk-in stores make you pay an average of $24 for a set. The soultion is whole sale, Internet, or catalogs like AMS or Musicians friend :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@bigstu)
Eminent Member

I thought the elixirs lasted pretty long but the complaint I had with them was that I got excessive squeaking, whether that's the coating I don't know. I didn't think the sound was as "crisp" as some strings.

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member

three months seems like quite a long time to me... i always used Elixers until i visited my local guitar store where i learnt that they were the same strings as d'addarios except with an extra coating. I decided i would try the d'addario exp's, but they were terrible. When i put them on they sounded worse then the old elixers i had just taken off, and its only got worse so i had to go buy a new set of elixers. I dont know if this is just my guitar or what, because i've always heard good things about d'addario strings, I even use them on my electric.

Special K

ReplyQuote