Elixirs

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just put .012-.053's on my acoustic. Big improvement in tone! They are kind of spendy, though.

I got some lights (.010-.046) for one of my electrics, don't know which to throw them on yet. Probably the SD...

Anyone else use these?

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I use Elixir lights (12 gauge) on my acoustic and like them.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I've got 12s on my acoustic and 10s on the electric. I love them. The have a good feel and sound great.

As for the price, it's not so bad when you consider that they tend to last 2-3 times as long as other strings. I previously used Martin SPs on the acoustic. I would have to change every few weeks. I've had my current set of Elixirs on it for over a month now, and they're not showing any signs of needing to be replaced just yet.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

My guitar feels and sounds fine with $5 strings, so I'll stick with them. I have played Elixers before and I didn't find them to be all that amazing personally, I usually can use a pair of Ernie Ball Slinky's for over a month without changing them, so I haven't been convinced to make the extra investment, but I guess it's all about personal taste.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How long should strings last? I never break any (or haven't yet, anyway), and it is really dry here so rust is unheard of. I have had the same set of D'Addario's on my SD for 4 months now, and they sound just like they did when I first put them on. I only play that guitar for an hour a day or so, though, as I change axes a lot when I practice.

I haven't put the .010's on anything yet. Too busy enjoying the new sound of my acoustic. I wouldn't have thought that strings made THAT much difference, but they do. My girlfriend noticed, too.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I got a free set of Elixirs and put them on my $99 acoustic and they made a huge difference. As a matter of fact, I'm a convert now. I'll use nothing but Elixirs on my acoustic now.

I've even ordered some for my electrics to see how they sound.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My acoustic came with Elixirs 12's and I tried a few other brands and was not as happy. I recently tried 11's on it and they sound just as well and feel even better. My logic on the 11's is that I switch between my electric with 10's and my acoustic alot so there is less difference now.

I am getting ready to try Elixir 10's on an electric with the next change (any day now).

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I love elixers, I have them on my acoustic as well as my ESP, I love the way they feel when sliding. I also sweat allot during playing so I tend to wear out strings pretty fast. These strings sounded the best for the longest amount of time, and now some of them have that anti-rust coating on them which is exactly what I need. I bought a set of the anti-rust ones about a week and a half ago so I cant tell you how well it works yet, but they still sound like I just put them on.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

I put a set of Elixer nanoweb 12's on my acoustic about 2 months ago and they still sound like brand new. I can't see me changing brands in the future :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Elixir poly 12's on my acoustics' and nano 11's on the Strat.

I will always use BriteWires on the Epi Spirit though.

Elixir's last awhile and sound great, so I will continue to use them. I'll still complain about the price even though they are worth it! :roll:

ReplyQuote