Clear all

Heavy-Metal-Solo Sound

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am not going to ask about how to do a heavy metal solo, because, if i did it means i would be trying to imitate someone's style of playing.

But... (for all those who care about who Kirk Hammet - Metallica's Guitarist - is ;p)...

Do you know what he uses, in terms of effect pedals, during his best solo moments (eg One, Enter Sandman, etc) ? There is a certain something that screams "This is a heavy-f**kin'-metal solo" while he plays. There are endless other players whose solos sound just like that and, even though i'm using a good dist. pedal, i still don't get that sound. (I'm using an Apollo guitar with a double pickup at the bridge so it might be just that. But I want to believe its just a pedal hehehe)

Is that a Wah-Wah?

Thanks a lot in advance

Il_Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

what amp,guitar and pedal have you got?

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Obviously getting something like an ESP or a Gibson Les Paul and playing it through a Mesa/Boogie or Marshall stack would be the ideal thing to do, but it would also cost an arm and a leg. First off, if you want a heavy metal sound you need alot of gain, so make sure your pedal isn't something like "blues overdrive" or something along those lines, if it is then use it with the amp's distortion or another type of distortion. However, DON'T OVERDO IT, I've played with people who just crank the distortion without thinking, and it sounds horrible, so the rule of thumb i use is less is better.

Along with this, you want to balance your EQ to make sure you get screaming highs with a nice low end chunk. Alot of players keep the highs up and the lows up but scoop out the mids (put the mid control to 0), generally this gets a screaming high and nice distorted sound but it really I find it better to keep the mids about halfway or so, and put the bass and treble on 7 or 8 (it all depends on the amp and your taste).

As for effects pedals, wah wah and other effects are nice but you can still get a nice metal sound without them (but I do love the sound of a wah-wah). It sounds like your guitar is alright for playing metal, you just might need to work out some of the controls on your amp: it took me a while to figure all the stuff out on my amp (and i still don't know it all). Anyways, sorry I can't give you a more detailed answer, but alot of it is trail and error and deciding what kind of sound you like.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

no, actually you were of great help.

as for amp: I have a Behringer 60W (can't remember the exact make right now) and as for pedals i have a digital Death Metal distortion.

thankis a lot for the help :)

Il_Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Here's Kirk Hammet's setting out of Total Guitar:

Gain - 7
Treble - 7
Mid - 2
Bass - 7
Reverb - 2

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

Ok man. I have a behringer 210 amp with a digitech death metal pedal too. I find that with that pedal and amp you need a noise supressor pedal. The death metal pedal puts out alot of distortion so theres alot of static and unwanted harmonics and what not. A noise supressor gets rid of the un wanted noise and helps you obtain just that sweet distorted sound. For the settings on the pedal, Turn your " high" knob to 3/4. Turn the rest mid way and then you should have a really high full tone solo sound. Remeber kirk uses alot of amps when hes playing via 5 full stacks. lol. But if you crank up your behringer and put that pedal on those settings and get a noise supressor you should be on your way to that heavy metal sound. I know what you mean by wanting that kirk hammet, Dave mustaine, solo sound. I have gotten pretty close to it. So just try that stuff. Trust me, lol im metallica man. :lol: :lol:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Trust me, lol im metallica man

lol

I'll try those settings tomorrow Evolution, and I'll check out on that pedal too next time i'm at the guitar shop Metallica Man.

Thanks a lot :)

Il_Manti

ReplyQuote