Clear all

epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone here tell a newbie the difference between a Les Paul standard PLUS and a Les Paul standard other than the price difference. I am interested in buying one of these guitars Went to the epiphone site but cannot see any real diff. Any help greatly apprec.
Robbie

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Best I can tell is the standard only comes in Black and has a maple top. The plus comes in more colors and has a flame maple top. Some believe the flame maple top gives better tone but my ears can not tell the difference.

You can go to the Epiphone forum and search on "standard plus" and get more info. http://www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/forum/toast.asp

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@qrious)
Trusted Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Standard actually comes in more colors than the Standard Premium Plus.

Go to http://www.gibson.com to check them out.

When you've done all you can to practice...practice some more.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Standard actually comes in more colors than the Standard Premium Plus.

Go to http://www.gibson.com to check them out.
You are correct on the Gibson's but the Epi is different and he asked about the Epi which does not have a premium plus

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@qrious)
Trusted Member

Gotcha.......my mistake.

When you've done all you can to practice...practice some more.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the help, the epiphone forum site has a lot of info. It appears that the plus has a flame top with a translucent finish even in black. That I am told is the only difference the tuners,pickups etc are identical .
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

The pickups are supposed to have been made in the USA.

And I think they have nitro finishes.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

The standards come in many colors. Only the black is pictured. If you look at the bottom of the page there's a link with all the various colors available. Quite a selection

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Are we all looking at the same site? Here is a link for the standard which only shows black for finish.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=44&CollectionID=6

and here is the plus which has all the colors

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=45&CollectionID=6

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Weird....I see where you're talking about now. Although I have a standard in Honeyburst and love it

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Yeah, standards come in lots and lots of colors. Epi just doesn't put them all on their website.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Weird....I see where you're talking about now. Although I have a standard in Honeyburst and love it
It's possible that it changed in the last year or two and that is why they came out with th plus to cover more colors.

I know I was looking at the standard awhile ago and then earlier this year I went for the Custom instead because they were both black but the custom had gold hardware.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I almost got the black custom, with gold hardware. Great looking axe, but I was worried about the gold rubbing off eventually

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

My friend had a Epi Les Paul standard, and I was really impressed with the colour, and the maple top, very sharp looking.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just to let you know that even though the guitars are basically the same I lusted after the Cherry Burst top and therefore had to go to the Les Paul Plus even though it was $60. US more. My grampa used to say that "a fool and his money are soon parted" and even though I am now in his age group haven't seemed to learn the lesson. The guitar is now on it's way. Grampa may have had lots of bucks but he never had a nice guitar!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2