Epiphone Les Paul's

34 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Are they any good?

I want a Les Paul but obviously at the price they are i dont have that money to splash about. Even though i work in a guitar shop and would get a discount i would reckon i am still looking at 1000 pounds for the genuine Gibson. Unless of course i was able to buy at the trade price through the shop, but that is unlikely.

Anyway, are the Epiphones the best copies? Whats the difference between them and the genuine? Any reccommendations?

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i'm not a les paul person, so you might wanna take this with a grain of sand, but im not fond of Epiphone's Gibson copies. if you work in a music store, you have all kinds of guitars at your fingertips to try out. so do it. i think you will find a better LP-style alternative that the Epiphones.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Depends. To me an LP is a piece of good quality mahogany with a maple cap. This does not describe the standard Epis. I also don't feel the finish measures up, although it's okay for the price.
If you want a cheap copy I believe Vintage also does an LP for the British market.
If you want quality, and don't care about the brand name, the Epiphone Elite series is as good or better than the lower priced Gibsons. It's also price accordingly. Slightly cheaper, but not cheap by any means.
On the other hand many people here do like their standard Epiphones.
Whatever you do, don't rush the decision. From my limited experience I'd say the longer you play the more you appreciate the differences in the levels of instruments and what best fits your needs. Long-winded way of saying, 'go try them'. :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@arghvark)

I was going to get a epiphone les paul too but then at the store i found this

I got it and couldn't be happier. It truely was the perfect guitar in the perfect price range

good luck with your search :)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

oh ive played that. it's a jet king right? ibanez? good guitar with very neat retro looks.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I've got an Epi LP Custom Special (the higher end Epi).
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518321

This thing is beautiful, plays and sounds great, its my favorite of the 4 electric guitars I own.... by far.

The quality and everything is really nice on it. I didn't even need to set it up, it was ready to go out of the box.

I've since gone to GC and other stores with Gibsons and to tell the truth, this is of much better quality than the entry-mid level ones I played.

Would I get another one(custom)?
You bet! and the price point isn't out of reach either.

My .02 cents :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Sure is neat looking. :D There are actually a bunch of well made 2 humbucker guitars that are probably better for most 'newish' players than a mediocre LP copy. Godin comes to mind. LP's tend to be baulky and on the heavy side. Not always the easiest thing to learn on.
(What a shame Gibson can't seem to turn out decent quality at their lower end.) By the time you get to their upper level stuff., I'd seriously consider Heritage instead.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@arghvark)

yea its a ibanez jet king 1

and it has twin humbuckers with coil tapping so you can switch the humbuckers to be single coil pickups

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have an Epi LP Standard. Great guitar, no complaints. As suggested before though, if you work in a music store, just play everything until you find the one you like.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

There is also the ESP Eclipses there are sort Les Paulish (I made a new word).

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ec.htm

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

maybe you could try a "super strat" it's basically a strat shaped body with 2 humbuckers that may or may not have a floyd rose or similar bridge with locking nut. i have a such a guitar, Ibanez, with 2 buckers and a single coil in the middle position, but that pickup sounds like crap. it's a comfortable guitar, not heavy, and it has good humbuckery tone.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

id say if u want a les paul in the price range of the ep get the Agile Al-3500 or Al-3000

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I have an ELP 2004 ,other than the pickups aren't perfect(nor am I) they're a great guitar if you have strap locks and locktite and good strong upper body mass you have a pretty good guitar for the price(mines a standard)I don't know about the other year models but I'm guessing that they're a good buy.If you love guitars you'll probably end up with one of each eventually.They are great guitars for doing slide work .

GG

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Yamaha also has it's own take on the LP concept, the AES series. And I'd suggest straplocks and loctite for any solid body, but especially any LP type. :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

the epi's are by far the best lp copy's you can get, i have a black beauty, it has 3 humbuckers
and is the most expensive epi lp you can get, i have not played a copy that even comes close,
they are made by gibson.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3