0 Likes
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Why is he sooooo good?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Because he practiced a lot and was able to jam with people we could only dream of jamming with.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

What Tracker says is true.

I'll add this: the reason he's so good (aside from the fact that he's been playing such a long time), is that he loves the music. He has a passion for it. He had it when he started and it's been his main thing all through his life. And I'm not just talking about love that one feels for a car or a house or some other thing or idea (which in itself is not bad): I'm talking about the kind of love that you would die for. And it isn't even the kind of love a person can 'attain.' There's no formula for getting that kind of love for a thing. It's just there and at a certain point, you realize it (if you're lucky).

Love and passion; they go together. It's like you might think it's an outwrad thing, or the object is someplace outside of yourself, but when you find it inside, deep inside - sort of like it's been there all along just waiting for you to discern it - there's nothing that will ever get in the way of it again. People sit back in awe and wonder because you're 'so into it,' or 'so dedicated,' or anything other little catch phrase or cliche, but with a love like that, it's not a quesiton of forcing it or working hard or giving everything else up for it; you just need it and love it and everything else fades into the background. It's like focusing a camera like in some movies you see where the person in foreground is in perfect focus and then the camera refocused and you see the guy on the other side of the street reading the paper. There's that 'other reality' that other person there at the same time you are, but you're not aware of it until you focus in.

The music itself is what made Eric so good (though many others will probably diss him as being old school, old fashioned, out of date, etc), and because it wasn't him doing it, but the music itself, it didn't matter to him when he left bands, formed other bands, did records, formed other groups, etc. These were only side-issues, mere frosting on the cake. The music led him through it, inspired him, brought him into contact with others of similar passion (Duane for one), and made him what he is today.

If he had done it for the stardom or money, he would never have left the Bluesbreakers. Or Cream. Or Blind Faith. Or Bonny and Delaney. Or...any of his other projects. See the thing is, 'music' is the 'project' and all the people and records and songs and bands were just sub projects, sublevels of the one project.

I think a lot of people nowadays want to be bassists or guitarists, but perhaps for the wrong reasons. Money, fame - but it goes deeper than that. A person can eventually become a guitarist and have nothing new to offer. Same with any instrument. I think for example to even say "I'm a guitarist' is somehow missing the deeper point of it. And I also think the deeper point can only be reached if one gives up even the notion of being a musician or bassist or any other-ist. The thing is to be in love with the music. And like I said it can't be just a puppy-love sort of thing, and it can't be forced or coerced. You're either in love with it (and not the guitar or whatever instrument) or you're not.

I mean it's nice to play an instrument. It's peaceful and relaxing and fulfilling. But there are a few out there that don't consider the music as a mere hobby or pastime (again not saying hobbies or pastimes are bad!). And these are people like Clapton and Beck and Vai and others. To them the music is first above everything else, and they follow it. Even the instrument they choose is a side issue. Some play sax, or violin or timbales or guitar. With these kinds of people, the instrument is secondary, because *they* are the instrument.

I think that's what makes Eric (and others) so good. :)

ReplyQuote
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well put!!! I agree! :)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That's deep... Amen.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote