Notifications
Clear all

F maj chord opinion

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Bass string gets the thumb, sorry about my clarification.

I like to do it this way so I can play the bass string & play lil mini riffs on the thin strings at the same time.

E---------------X--------------
B---------------1---------------
G---------------2---------------
D---------------3--------------
A---------------3--------------
E---------------1--------------

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

I (almost) always play the full barre. It sounds better to me, and most of the chords I play are barre chords, so the transition is usually easier as well. Maybe I'm a bit blunt in the ears (no finesse knowing when to use a partial voicing instead), but I'll give myself some slack since I'm still a beginner. :mrgreen:

(I'm so thick I even avoid the open D, preferring instead to barre it as a C on fret 2 :oops: )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

(I'm so thick I even avoid the open D, preferring instead to barre it as a C on fret 2 :oops: )

what? :?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

CAGED: standard open C form slid up two frets and barred = D

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ahh.

ReplyQuote
(@snoty)

If your not good at bar chords wrap your thumb around and grab the Low F note If your playin' with a bass player you won't miss the guitar low note.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I've been mostly playing punk, jazz, reggae and ska for the last year or two so it's fairly rare that I'll play a six voiced chord, except on solo acoustic, and even then...

I tend to use the bare essentials for what i need, in punk/rock power chords ftw, ska/reggae you only really need the top 3 or 4 strings, voicing is usually whatever is closest to preceding chord, as long as theres an F, A and C its all good, jazz is usually four note voicings, placed wherever the situation calls for it, and with jazz in particular voiceleading is important so the fewer movements from previous chords the better.

I think my thing is not getting restriced by one shape, mixing things up gives your sound more individuality and color, and is more fun and, often easier than jumping twelve frets to get back to a Fmaj barre on the first fret.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2