Clear all

Fender Maple Necks

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought my 2nd electric..a Fender Highway One Strat, 3 color sunburst with a Maple neck, and just love it. The only thing I've noticed, is that the Maple necks are lacquered very lightly over the fretboard and frets. It looks like on a fret or two that the lacquer might not be completely sealed where the fret meets the wood. It's barely noticeable, but when playing it, it's just at the right angle that I can see it. Just wondering if it is common for the finish to come off in these areas, and on the frets themselves. I guess it should be expected on top of the actual frets. I really didn't want to return it. I even considered touching it up with a small brush and some non glossy lacquer..or should I just return it and not chance messing it up?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Case closed.... 8)

Yes, it is a normal thing that comes with age, but I think it might be a flaw since you bought it so recently. I dunno, if theres no change in the playability, I say keep it. You could do one of those touch ups like you said, but I highly doubt its a humongus problem.

BTW that's Claptons Blackie if you didn't know. Sounds like a nice guitar! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Just play it alot and fretboard grunge should work it's way into any unfinished wood on the fretboard. Finger oil makes for a better finish anyways. I really don't see the point of finishing a maple neck. If they get sticky just wipe them with some steel wool. I always strip the finish off the neck and fingerboard of guitars I get with maple necks/fingerboards.

ReplyQuote