Skip to content
Fenders Version of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Fenders Version of the 51 right before our eyes?

36 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Shape the pickguard like a beer can that's pouring in a glass that is in the volume/tones control area :?:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

As was mentioned, the Squier '51 was modeled after the Fender '51 P (Precision) Bass guitar.

I do think the look of the Squier 51 had a lot to do with it's popularity, and the low cost helped too. But there are dozens of guitars in this price range (and even lower) that have never gained this almost cult status the Squier 51 quickly gained.

I think what sets the Squier 51 apart is that it plays like a far more expensive guitar, and it sounds great. This is why I don't understand the pickup substitutions. I'm tellin' ya, I get some great tone out of this guitar stock. I would be afraid to change the pickups, it would probably ruin the great tone.

And I would gig with the Squier 51 easy (I'm going to this Saturday). Many guitarists already are, and it is being used in the studio too. It is the great playablility and tone of the Squier that has made it so popular.

So even if Fender comes out with a copy, it will probably still not sound as good as the Squier, and will not be as popular.

Just because something is inexpensive does not mean it is inferior. Sometimes these companies happen to create a great product. The Epiphone Valve Jr is an example of this. The 5 watt head is only $99 and sounds as good as amps costing 4-5 or even 10 times as much. :wink:

The pickguard on the 51 is not too hot. But overall it is a good looking guitar that feels great when you are holding it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

But there are dozens of guitars in this price range (and even lower) that have never gained this almost cult status the Squier 51 quickly gained.

Indeed, it is strange how some things gain cult status .. as you mentioned, the EPJ certainly has, looks like the Squier 51 has too..there is some hard to define "value" in some of these products. I think sometimes some of them just have mojo :-) I have the EPJ, and I can attest to that feeling. I've resisted the Squier 51 so far, and Wes, your analysis is making me feel weak :wink:

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink

Get one now, they won't be around long.

I had been wanting a 51 for a long time after reading numerous positive reviews. When you see an overwhelming majority of reviewers saying a product is great, it probably really is.

I really love this guitar. It sounds great and feels great too. It has good weight and balance to it, very playable. It is not hype.

So what it isn't pretty?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Wes, Actually, I am pretty convinced it is really good. I don't get that much playing time, and I mostly play my Carvin CT6 and even my MIM strat and my Guild accoustic are getting neglected..but I'm still tempted.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink

It's $99 man! And if you don't like it, you will be able to sell it for twice or three times that amount very soon.

I told my supervisor about this guitar about 2 months ago. He has been playing 40 years and has 17 guitars, some of which are very expensive, $3000-4000 range. He got the 51 before me. We talk about this guitar almost everyday at work now. Since he got the '51 he says it is just about all he plays now, his expensive guitars are getting neglected.

I am seriously thinking of buying another. I don't NEED it, I WANT it. I want to have another when I wear this first one out. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Still, anyon got any further info o the whole discontinued-thing? If so, is that just a USA thing, and if not, when can I expect shipments to stop arriving in Holland? Any info would be appreciated. I liked the concept of the 51 from the moment it was announced, and it would kinda suck to miss out on it. But with holiday-season showing up I must chose between all the stuff I want.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

Who knows if it's really discontinued or not? On Musician's Friend they have the Black and Sunburst in stock, and it says the Blonde model is due to arrive 11/24/06. Maybe they are overstocked, who knows? But it is also advertised "Limited Quantity".

Check this out, a pro who plays the '51, Nick Curran of The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I think the '51 has finally made people proud to own a Squier. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Can I just show ignorance in not knowing poop about guitars and say

I WANT ONE { 51 that is }

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's a video of The Fabulous Thunderbirds in Finland with Nick Curran on a '51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQTkksEiRo

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Can I just show ignorance in not knowing poop about guitars and say

I WANT ONE { 51 that is }

Why not? I did. :oops: :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Check this out, a pro who plays the '51, Nick Curran of The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Albeit a modded one. Fender Tele neck, and reportedly at least one pickup swapped.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I thought about getting one. Someone on youtube was demoing one. Unfortunately, he doesn't turn the gain up very high and I go for bluesy tones almost never.

I don't like the shape of the headstock very much, or the single coil pickup. Not sure how the stock ones sound, just not a fan of single coils.

Still getting either a Fender American Series Strat or a Fender Jaguar next month. I got a raise so I'm entitled to spend a little. So I tell myself anyways.

P.S. Anyone care to post sound samples of how heavy the 51 gets? I'm curious.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Vink

It's $99 man! And if you don't like it, you will be able to sell it for twice or three times that amount very soon.

Wes, You're gonna laugh!

So, I went for my guitar lesson this evening. We finished around 6:45, then my teacher Chris and I were just chatting near the door of the store (my lessons are in the back room in the guitar store). As I am about to leave, I see that they have three 51s, one of each color, sitting near the door. I hadn't noticed them before. The store was closing up, I just picked up the sunburst one and started playing with it. Then, Chris goes "I think you should buy that Guitar right now..", half kidding. I called the sales guy, told him I would buy it if he would knock off 10 dollars and bring it down to $99, and so, the guitar I was I resisting came home with me :-) 8)

Still have to play it though...the action needs a little lowering, but otherwise it looks fantastic!

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Vink: Congratulations with the new guitar! :D

Wes: Don't get me wrong, I don't have any bad ideas about the 51 at all. It's just that with a limited budget and a big wish list it's kinda hard to bring home another guitar. I already got six or so guitars and I've been barely been playing for more then three years. Over here it costs 150 Euros, about $180, I can buy a truckload of instruction books or 15 lessons for that. If it were going to be discontinued that would bump it up the list a bit, so if anyone does find any info on it, do let me know. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3