Clear all

finding people to play with

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys.. I feel as though i've hit a wall in my playing. I would like to find some people to play with that i wouldn't feel to out of place with. I do lack confidence playing for people other than my loving fiance... i tend to just sit with the guitar, start to learn a song and then just end up mindlessly playing the same old scales.

Anyway, i haven't had much luck finding other's to play with. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

You could take lessons in a class environment if that's available. Another obvious option is to join a band. You can also host a jam asking people on your favorite forum to join you for a day. If forums sounds like a bad idea, using the bulletin board of your local guitar shop is an option as well.

Good luck.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Go to your local pub....take a guitar, just strum anything....you'll be amazed at the response you get......I'll bet at least 3/4 people will ask, "you in here next week? Okay if I bring a guitar, we'll jam?"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can post a "looking for someone to jam with" notice at your local music store. Most have a bulletin board for just this.

Check Harmony Central. The have a musicians search by zip code or city.

I found these listings for Open Mics in Edmonton.

Mondays - LB's Pub - St. Albert
Wednesdays - Wild West Saloon
Thursdays - Backstage
Saturdays - Transit Hotel, Beverly Crest

You've got to get over your fear of playing in front of others. Take your guitar and a small amp and go down to an Open Mic. Don't worry, you will be completely welcome. Just get up there and jam with the others. It's all about having fun, nobody is judgemental at Open Mics. You can meet lots of local musicians which often can lead to a band later on.

Nobody is going to shoot at you if you hit a bad note. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

And here is a website for musicians in your area. I saw a few ads for people looking for other musicians to jam with.

http://www.albertamusicscene.com/forums/index.php

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Check at work. I learned that five other people in my General Manager's team play. Now I am organizing monthly 'jams'.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And you can post down in our own "Gigs & Jams". Someone around here might be looking too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

go to http://www.craigslist.org and click on the link for your city then the link for musicians, and see who's doing what or post your own ad it's all free

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I went for an interview the other week and almost lined up the interviewer's husband for lessons. You gotta talk to people and let them know what you do.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Summer's coming - take a guitar to the park or a beach. Other guitarists will find you there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Summer's coming - take a guitar to the park or a beach. Other guitarists will find you there.

This don't work in WV. All the kids would be pointing and saying "look at the numb nut with the guitar." Who's he trying to impress? Then they would throw a football at you.

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I found out just the other day that one of my coworkers plays guitar and likes the same music, so we jam together now.

If anyone drops by edmonton, feel free to throw a message my way, my guitar is always warmed up....

cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats wannabe. Now all you need is a drummer and bass. 8)

Noteboat said,
Summer's coming - take a guitar to the park or a beach. Other guitarists will find you there

Yep, many years ago I was sitting on my porch strumming my guitar. A young fellow was walking by taking a lunch break. He came up and said he played guitar too. He said he had a band with a few friends and invited me to his next practice. I went and ended up playing with those guys for two years. I will never forget him, his name was Sam Kijis. He was the best rhythm guitar player I have ever met.

So at the least play your guitar in public. Other guitar players will come around. :wink:

ReplyQuote