Clear all

Gibson Les Paul Lines and Differences

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My guitar teacher just gave me a speech regarding my guitar gear. He basically said that I need to stop buying junk since I have now been playing long enough that I am beginning to notice some of the quality differences of guitar manufacture. Quality over quantity I guess.

I own a decent amp (Fender HRD) but I am using an E-bay purchased, heavily used, MIM Fender Fat Strat. As some of you know, I am pretty happy with the cleans I am getting from it but it lacks in the heavy tones. My teacher said it best when he said: "you gotta have a different brush to paint different kinds of strokes". Okay, so I guess the moral is: It may not be worth while to try to "hot-rod" this guitar in the long run.

So here I am with some noticable GAS and a desire to get myself a "metal" axe, so to speak.

Although tempting, I don't think I want to get an ibanez or jackson "sportscar" guitar. I really like the Gibson Les Pauls (who doesn't right?) so my question is this:

How much better is a Les Paul "standard" then, say a Les Paul "studio"? I know the spec difference (burstbuckers on the standard) but are there other major differences to account for the $1,000 price addition? Better cuts of wood? Sanded by a super-hot naked woman?

My teacher says "You get what you pay for" but he didn't elaborate much. He also said "you will never regret buying great equipment, you will keep it and cherish it forever". But $1,000 more?

I would appreciate any opinions on this one....

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

there are many differences, I have found in Gibsons. same model same price...the workmanship varies. so look closely.
that said.
my belief is the Studio has less bells and whistles (decoration) than the standard issue.

logically, since the guitar is made for studio use and not stage why add the extras.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I think it was Wes that made a post about this exact thing not too long ago.

Now, if I can only find that.....

Edit: Try here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20372

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that edit. I had been searching for info on the site but hadn't found any real gold yet.

As usual Wes comes through.

Wes, you mention nothing about naked women sanding in your post? 'sup wit dat?! :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The MAIN differences between the lines are:

Caved top/not carved
Inlays versus dots
Hi-gloss finish / faded/satin/classic finish
The amount of binding
Maple cap versus no cap
Type of cap - maple, match-top, AA, AAA, AAAA, Quilted
Pickups and tuners

When it is all said and done, it really comes down to the pickups and tuners. The rest is all window decoration if you ask me. The studio models have the same number of frets and scale-length. They just don't have the factory gloss finish, or the binding, or the block/trap inlays. And there are different levels of the studios - some have carved top, others don't. Some have a faded/satin finish, others have hi-gloss. The more expensive have everything but the body binding.

The pickups generally range:

490/490 - base level. Used on the SG and some lower LPs
498/490 - standard on most LPs
500/496 - standard on the LP Classic
Burstbuckers - come on some of the higher-end LPs
P-90s - come on the melody makers and some SGs

The tuners... the base models come with the Kluson Deluxe CRAPPY tuners. My SG has these and they do NOT hold a tune. I need to upgrade these "vintage" tuners to some Grovers. The rest of the models come with the Grovers.

The Studio models are fine for straight-ahead rock'n'roll, but lack the pretty parts. They usually have the 498/490 pickups so they sound great.

My suggestion would be to look at the Les Paul Classic. This is probably the best guitar for the money in the LP line. You get the slim-taper 1960's neck (which will feel more similar to your Strat neck), trap inlays, full body and neck binding, Maple cap (not bookmatched AA or flame, but nice) and the best part are the hot pickups. The 500T/496R pickups are HOT HOT and great for the kind of music you like. Brand new the LP Classics retail for $1800, probably could be bought for $1600. You can get a used one for about $1400.

Oh - and the lower priced Gibsons don't come with a case. Most of the Studios just come with a gigbag. Keep that in mind. I bought my SG for $650 and bought a case for $110 ($760) and the SG standard with a case was $800. Could have just gotten the standard with the gloss finish (if I knew).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Phinnin

If you really want an LP (like you said, who doesn't?) but don't have that kind of money, go with the Studio. I own one and I really love it. Basically you get everything but the binding. But I really like the looks of mine, I have Black with Chrome hardware.

And if the Studio is a little steep for you, go with the mahogany.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

I was looking at these at Guitar Center about 2 weeks ago, this guitar is very, very nice. 8)

They have now put better pickups in this model (Gibson Alnico 5 Burstbucker Pros). It also has the famous LP carved top. Anything cheaper than this the top is flat. I dunno, I just don't count them as real LPs without the carved top. This new Vintage Mahogany is a beautiful guitar in my opinion, and a REAL Les Paul.

I like the bridge pickup best in my LP. This is the pickup with the Metal edge. In the middle position (Bridge/Neck), it has a very good rhythm guitar tone, especially when using clean tones. Very full and pretty with lots of color. The neck pickup on mine is a little muddy. It is not bad, but you cannot get "crunch" with it. However it is excellent on many high gain settings for lead solos, thick and smooth sounding.

But this new mahagony has better pickups than my Studio. The Studio has the 490R and 498T pickups.

I can completely relate to what you have been trying to do tone wise. I also for years have been playing a Strat through a HRD. And I was very happy with the Blues/Classic Rock type tones I got. But when I joined my new band we are more Metal sounding. We actually sound a lot like the Metal bands of the 80's. And I needed a heavier tone. The LP has helped significantly. It just has a more "Rock" tone. It is not twangy like a Strat or Tele. It has the deeper tones associated with Heavy Metal. It will get you much closer to these tones.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input Wes. Yeah, I am hoping the LP helps, as I am sure it will. I may just bust out and get a standard, depending on how my income flows over the next few weeks. I am self employed so its boom and bust for me all the time.

A big boom and its standard time, baby. But its nice to know that the studio is a solid buy also.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Phinnin

Wow, I wish I had a job like that. :D

Don't forget the LP Deluxe. This is one beautiful LP with smaller pickups. Great guitar and very popular.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You wish you had a job like mine until you hit the "bust" part of the cycle. :)

I spend it while I got it....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love the looks of the Les Paul Classic. black is beautiful.

but if I were you get a balck studio.
look around for a carved top if you can find one.

those pups would sound good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote