Clear all

Finger Picks Again

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got a bag of new Ernie Ball Pickey Pickey Picks, and I love 'em! They're very comfortable, stay on well, and the tips curve up to where they pick off the string just about where a long fingernail would. There's plenty of room around the skinny tip to feel the string if you want to (rather like those loop-tipped ProPicks a lot of folks like, only inverted), and the sharp tips give as bright a sound as you could hope for. Most "natural" feeling fingerpicks I've tried.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=P09220/574.0.16127.24658.0.0.0

And of course the extra-thick pearly Golden Gate thumbpicks just can't be beat, unless you want a flexible thumbpick, in which case the Fred Kelly Speed Picks are the way to go.
Golden Gate:

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=1/sf=category/se=Guitar%20Accessories/op=eq/nu=0/bs=1/ml=50/tf=category/to=x.html?id=xjcb29N4

Speed Pick:

http://www.fredkellypicks.com/speed_pick.html

Pickin' and grinnin' :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Do those Golden Gate thumbpicks come for a fat thumb?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got a pretty fat thumb (I wear size 8 or 8 1/2 rubber gloves) and the Large size fits me perfectly. If it were a little too snug, you could use the standard trick for fitting plastic picks of heating it in boiling water, dipping it out, jamming it on and immediately sticking it under running cold water.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

For the past couple of weeks I was thinking of fingerpicks so your message was opportune. Picked up a set but couldn't do a thing with them. I've always fingerpicked with just my fingers so I found it awkward hitting the strings with the picks on. I like the extra volume so I guess it's practice and patience. I especially have problems with the thumb as I think the pick sticks out too far so I'm wondering about shaving off a fair bit of it.

Couldn't find the Fred Kelly picks but was wondering how much more flexible are they - the design certainly implies it. Have you tried the "Bumblebee"?

http://www.fredkellypicks.com/bumblebee.html

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The standard Speed Picks are much more flexible than the usual "solid" thumbpicks, but come in different stiffnesses that are color coded. I've got yellow, and it's pretty flexible. Nice thing about that is that if you're used to back-and-forth strumming with the side of your thumb, you can still do it with the Speed Pick, it won't hang on the strings and fly off.

The normal way of strumming with thumb and finger picks is down with the thumb, back up with a finger pick. Takes practice.

Using finger picks is awkward at first. Keep using 'em and it gets to be second nature. Beats the heck out of trying to grow and maintain long nails.

Haven't tried the Bumblebee. Only advantage I can see is that it's reangleable to adjust the position of the tip. ANY thumbpick is usable as a flatpick by grabbing it between the thumb and index finger. It's rather handy to use a thumbpick and bare fingers, using it as a flatpick when desired and using it just as a thumbpick and picking with bare fingers the rest of the time. Exactly the same as "hybrid picking" with a flatpick, but with an additional finger and thumb free.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I was considering using just a thumb pick in place of a pick, but they're just a touch long for me. I realize I can shape them....it seems like too much trouble to customize a plectrum.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Easiest way to reshape the tab on a Speed Pick is to trim it with a nail clipper. :D

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Yeah, I'm totally hooked on fingerstyle, I do beleive that was the intended technique when the 6 string
was invented. :D

So, Ive managed to grow, (and keep pretty good shaped Fingernails), which I do hands on type mechanical
work and used to "break a nail" all the time. Almost seemed to take practice in not breaking them.

Thumbpick I use, but never tried those fingerpicks, how do they sound on electric?

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Great! Nice bright sound.

ReplyQuote