Clear all

First guitar lesson tomorrow...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what should I be looking to get from it???
I had lessons before with someone else but he was useless whereas this new fella is meant to be really good...

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

For a first lesson you should be looking to:

a) make sure your teacher understands your goals and that you both agree that the teacher can help you achieve them. If your goals are not realistic, you should be looking to set your expecatations appropriately

b) make sure you understand how your teacher "works" and what he expects from you.

c) Identify what your lessons will look like, and what materials you'll need. Books, metronome, sheet music, whatever

d) Understand how your teacher wants you to approach the material, what he sees as important, and why.

Really that's about it. Maybe you'll walk away with a few chords to learn or a scale or something .. but the first couple of lessons are all about the teacher getting to know you and you getting to know the teacher.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

but the first couple of lessons are all about the teacher getting to know you and you getting to know the teacher.

Just wanted to add that I agree with King and also that because of the quoted line, be careful not to judge to quickly if he's a good or bad teacher. Seems to take a few lesson to determine if you guys will work out or not. My opinion.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote