First song learned on Electric guitar?

36 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
(@kevt1982)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Just bought my first electric guitar after 2 years on the acoustic. I'm just interested to hear what sort of songs would be good to learn as a starter? What did you lot learn when you first picked up the electric?

I've a pretty diverse taste in music so any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

CCR's Green River. It's simple fretting wise, but it's got slides, hammer ons, pull offs...all that good stuff :) Especially the intro/signature slide riff that's the fulcrum of the song. That screams 'electric guitar'. For me, it's never gotten old; I still give it a run through during any extended practice session. Enjoy!

Don

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Metallica - Enter Sandman.....

It's pretty easy and sounded cool back in the day. If you've been playing for 2 years it's not exactly going to stretch you though, but I guess you can practise chugging away with palm muted power chords :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

"Day Tripper" -- classic riff

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It depends on what your goals on electric guitar will be. If you intend to play rock music, then I suggest you look into playing some blues, which is the foundation of most rock music. Check out the book, Blues You Can Use. Lots of good stuff in there, plenty of songs, and a CD to play along with. That should get you started nicely!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Back in the day, the first thing I did was do what all my favorite artists were doing then, tune to Drop C. Now a days I do a lot of improv and stuff. Once I get my technique down a bit better I'm going to start learning songs from my new favorite artists.

I've made a radical change in listening choices over the past 2 years. Gone from Metalhead to everything. Sure, everyonce and a while I'll listen to system of a down or something, but its a lot of classic rock and blues for me now.

The first song I learned to play was "Toxicity" by System of a Down. For metal, they are real creative, and I still like em.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member

I recommend Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

I'll seriously date myself back to the Stone Age, once again.. :wink:
My first electric guitar work was Luther Perkins' leads on Cash's Folsom Prison and Big River..Sun records cuts.
First instrumental (Dance With The) Guitar Man....Duane Eddy.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

i played bass before guitar so alot of them i tabbed over but the first song i learned was probably up around the bend by ccr it sounded hard but its simple after you get the rythm down

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ha, the first song I learned was House of the Rising Sun and then Venus. :D

Then it was probably anything I could figure out by Black Sabbath.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Louie, Louie. 8)

late '63.
oh baby now.
we gotta go.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@llynix)
Eminent Member

Stairway and under the bridge can be played just fine on acoustic.

How about Sweet Child O Mine? Always loved that riff.

One man, one guitar, one website, one ditty a day. - http://onedittyaday.com

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

My memory is pretty fuzzy here but I will guess that the first song I learned was Smoke On The Water. Everyone should know this song. Rock You Like A Hurricane came pretty soon after that.

Living After Midnight - Judas Priest
Hold On Loosely - 38 Special

Another good song that might be pretty easy to learn is Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne, great Song.

Have Fun!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My first on an electric was something by David Bowie - either Jean Genie or Ziggy Stardust. It's more likely to be Jean Genie. Queen were definitely next on my hitlist - try "Tie your Mother Down" if you want a straightforward riff

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

1st song I learned was Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Pretty easy, and Vic has it posted over on the Easy Songs forum if you're interested.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3