Clear all

Fun with a coat hanger...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I'm incredibly bored. No, I don't know what made me want to try this.

I found that you can rub a plastic coat hanger across the strings to get some cool sounds. It works best when you use a smooth part of the bottom of the hanger, not along a plastic seam. If you can't get it to work try pressing down harder.

-Metaellihead

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you're reinventing the slide guitar. They used to use kitchen knives and the like to slide back in the beginnings.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm talking about rubbing it across the strings sorta like a bow, not using it as a slider.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@dylantherabbit)

Try playing like that using a tin whistle while blowing it at the same time - gives a really interesting effect.

Used to go under headlessgremlin

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

cool

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Hey, I tried this and got nothing.

Am I supposed to remove my coat first?

:?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'm talking about rubbing it across the strings sorta like a bow, not using it as a slider.

When I do that, I get the same effect I would by rubbing a slide across the strings like a bow. Has anyone tried playing their guitar with a violin bow like Jimmy page does? It seems like a tricky thing to do...

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

There was a thread going about this maybe 4 months ago or so. Using a violin bow on electric guitar, that is. I wanted to try it as my son was taking a few violin lessons at the time. He had to return the violin before I could experiment with it. :( Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone wanted to look up the thread.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've seen Jimmy Page do guitar bowing on the Led Zeppelin DVD. He presses down on the strings above the nut while bowing to get open string bends, hits the strings with the bow, and he migrates his left hand up and down the strings with a wah pedal. When he runs his hand up and down the strings he doesn't neccicarily fret anything just presses down. He even goes down to 3 inches from the bridge while going nuts with the bow and wah to get these really high pitched sounds.

He also uses the bow tapping with a echo or delay effect and does this theatrical type wand/bow waving. Cool stuff.

And in that other thread they talked about the strings being all too flat on strats. There's no arch to them to select induvidual strings. From what I remember, Page adjusted the bridge action to be higher in the middle strings and lower on the outside strings. I've seen him do bowing on a Tele.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote