Clear all

Funny string resonance

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So my wife was out with some friends and I decided to really make some noise and crack up my amp. I had my acoustic guitar sitting in a stand on the other side of the room and when I hit a screaming E chord I heard this wierd harmonic I couldn't figure out. I played an A and it was there again. Everytine a harmonic in the same key as the chord. I took me a few minutes to realize that I had my amp up so lound that it was vibrating my acoustic and the vibration was causing the open string of the matching key to vibrate and continue to ring after I muted my electric guitar.

Kind of funny, not particularly interesting but though it was worth a quick post :P

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It happens even when your amp isn't cranked, you just don't notice it - it's called sympathetic vibratiion.

When I was a young lad a teacher demonstrated this principle at a piano (for a science class as I recall). She pressed one key down a bit, so the damper was raised but the hammer didn't strike the string... then played and released the note an octave lower.

Voila - harmonics.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I have a simular story.

I cranked up my amp and started jammin'. My wife got mad I was playing so loud and threw her keys at me. :P

Let me tell you, I know all her keys are flat but, one was really sharp! :shock:

:D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that reminds me of the time i was jamming and your wife threw herself at me.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

that reminds me of the time i was jamming and your wife threw herself at me.

ahahahahahhaaaahahha. Oh, that made me laugh.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote