Clear all

Gibson for under $600

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

All this talk about high-priced Gibsons... At Guitar Center online right now you can get a Gibson SG or Flying V for $579. This is less than they were 3 years ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/home/navigation?N=100005&Ntk=P_PID&Ntt=517222+517336&Ntx=mode+matchany

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

i got a gibson faded sg for that price 3 years ago actually.

i want to try out the flying v, i bet it is nice.

i didn't like the sg too much.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Really? Mine was $649.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

i bought it locally not from guitcrap center though

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think you mean Guitarget

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Doesn't the lack of wood due to the cutout compromise the tone?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Do you think Angus Young (SG) or Albert Kings (Flying V) tone was compromised?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Doesn't the lack of wood due to the cutout compromise the tone?

On an SG? The common opinion is the SG sounds more aggressive than a LP. Less body mass, longer unsupported neck length and other, less noticeable differences probably correlate to stronger attack, faster decay and less sustain = punchier and aggressive. Sustain is not everything, and is often attainable electronically. OTOH, cool tone is priceless. A fair percentage of players believe the SG has more tonal vibe than the LP.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

not me. i think an sg always sounds like an lp on the bridge pickup. kind of sour. it's a shame, because they look so cool, and they're much lighter than an lp. i own a prs with p90's, though, so that's neither here nor there.
i'd rather go for a used lp. you might be able to find one for around $600. if money's an issue, i definitely would consider buying used, since you're still getting the same guitar for cheaper. they're not like cars. they don't break down after a few years.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I was talking about the flying V. Thats a lot of wood to hunk out...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I always wanted one of those Worn Cherry Faded SG's. But I wanted the one with the crescent moon inlays. I think Corbind had one if I'm not mistaken. I've never actually seen one around though.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

Do you think Angus Young (SG) or Albert Kings (Flying V) tone was compromised? 8) +1

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

SGs have awesome tone IMHO. As was mentioned, listen to Angus, sounds great to me. Pete Townsend almost always used an SG, in fact, he is probably responsible for it's popularity. And he had pretty awesome tone too.

And if you listen to early Santana, he used an SG too. I think he sounded better then than he does today.

And a SG is far easier to play high on the neck than an LP. Much better lead guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think that if you asked many guitar teachers and luthiers they would say that the SG is actually the superior guitar (to the Les Paul). The Les Paul is more popular and much more marketed than the SG, so it is Gibson's main axe, but the SG design is probably a better "pure" guitar than the LP.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

SGs have awesome tone IMHO. As was mentioned, listen to Angus, sounds great to me. Pete Townsend almost always used an SG, in fact, he is probably responsible for it's popularity. And he had pretty awesome tone too.

And if you listen to early Santana, he used an SG too. I think he sounded better then than he does today.

And a SG is far easier to play high on the neck than an LP. Much better lead guitar.

And Frank Zappa and Terry Kath (When Chicago was hot)

I tried out an Epi Elitist SG yesterday. Think it was about eight bills. Definitely a good axe. If considering a Gibby faded SG, I recommend checking out the Epi Elitist version as well -- very good workmanship and set up compared to the average Gibby.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2