Clear all

Gibson LP & SG

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone please tell me what the Gibson Les Paul Standard and Gibson SG Standard each retail for and what most people pay for them?

I've been looking around and each site has a pretty big differences in prices, so it is hard to find common ground and determine what is average. And it doesn't make it any easier that there are several different models and upgrades for each.

Thanks a lot.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You are absolutely right. There are several different models for each, and the prices vary greatly within each model.

Here are the most popular for each. I have put links below to Musician's Friend, but the prices for the same model guitar are almost always the same, no matter which online site you visit. Gibson must set a minimum price and every retailer has to price it accordingly.

This is the Les Paul Standard (w/ a 1960s neck, which is thinner), the most popular Les Paul:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-60s-Neck-Electric-Guitar?sku=517188

This is the SG Standard, the most popular SG:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=517265

As you can see, both are not cheap! The SG is about 1/2 the cost of the Les Paul, though. There are two less expensive versions of the Les Paul, the Classic, which is usually a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Standard and the Studio, which is about the same price as the SG Standard.

I have owned an SG Standard. It is a very nice guitar. I just wasn't my style. I now own a Les Paul Standard, which I love. But, Both are very good guitars and both are very different. The SG is MUCH lighter, thinner, etc. The Les Paul is much heavier - but with such sweet tone.

Go to your local Guitar Center and check it out for yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

No problem! I hope the information helps. Those two models are probably the biggest selling electric guitars that Gibson makes. There are several different models under the Les Paul and SG names, so be careful.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If the Les Paul Standard gives you a bit of sticker shock, take a look at the Les Paul Studio, which is pretty much the same sounding guitar, but without any of the decorative extras.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

They difference is really all in the looks. A standard faded SG with the same pickups (ok, 490/490 instead of 490/498), electronics and hardware as the SG standard goes for $700 new. The standard with the poly topcoat, neck binding, and inlays goes for about $1100.

Same with the Les Paul. A Faded Les Paul - same electronics and hardware as the standard) goes for about $850 new. A Studio model - has a ploy topcoat but might be a flattop or might just have dot inlays - goes for about $1200 new. LP Classics with hotter pickups (500/596) have all the jazz except headstock binding and pickup covers (double black) go for $1800 new.

Really, the difference in most cases is with the finish and the aestetics (AAA flame top, binding, bloack inlays, etc)

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

And if by chance them Gibby's are still out of your price range. The Higher End Epiphones are EXCELLENT instruments at half the cost.

:)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

All great information for a Gibson newbie. I suggest you surf the Gibson site and take a look at their various models for the LP and SG. Then check out Musician's Friend, or some other site to check the prices of each different model. My first post on this thread gave you the most popular models for each LP and SG. But, there are some cheaper ones that are largely the same, except for the finish, binding, etc. Here is the Gibson site:

http://www.gibson.com/

Hope that helps!

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

They difference is really all in the looks. A standard faded SG with the same pickups (ok, 490/490 instead of 490/498), electronics and hardware as the SG standard goes for $700 new. The standard with the poly topcoat, neck binding, and inlays goes for about $1100.

Really, I didn't know that!!! I thought that the faded versions had different pickups, electronic, but they don't have that much of a difference! Thanks for the info. :)

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, after looking around at a lot of sites, including extensive review reading at HarmonyCentral.com, I have decided on the Les Paul Studio.

So now the only thing to do is save the money! :lol:

I just spent $450 on an Ibanez SA260FM:
http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA260FM
Plus $100 for an Orange Crush 15 watt combo amp, $75 for a hard case, $25 for a stand, $20 electronic tuner, $20 for a plush nylon strap, and $12 for cable. So I am pretty much broke. :cry:

Don't get me wrong I LOOVE the Ibanez, I just get so excited looking at new guitars.

In fact, I am going to buy a car of my own first. Then if I still want the LP Studio and have played around with one, I will get one. So the next 9 months or so are going to be full of anxiousness, but atleast I have two beautiful Ibanez's to keep me company.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote