Clear all

Gitane DG-250M

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been bitten by the Gipsy Jazz bug. I've been spending nearly every weekend at local clubs listening to hot club jazz and this weekend I've got tickets to Dorado Schmitt.

So I've been looking at selmer style guitars. Does anyone know anything about the Gitane brand? Specifically the DG-250M? It looks like a pretty nice guitar at a reasonable price (I'd love a Dell'Arte Swing, but my wife woudl kill me if I spent that much money on yet another guitar!!)

Anyone ever play one?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might check the Harmony Central User Reviews.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I thought Gitane were French cigarettes :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The really odd thing is that it's made by Saga . . .yeah, that Saga . . . but I've heard good things about them . ..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I got this opinion from my trusted, local dealer who happens to carry these guitars: They don't really sound like the original Selmers. The John Jorgenson model, which goes for about $1000 is supposed to be better, but I'm not sure how much. I tried one out and didn't find it a compelling play, even though I up for new experiences and also like to fool around with fingerstyle jazz improv.

The construction of the original Selmer guitars -- which incorporated unusual features such as secondary sound chambers -- was very different from that of these modern Sagas. Not that they are bad guitars, but they seem to be more of a visual statement. I know it's not in the spirit of the whole Gypsy guitar thing, but I would consider saving up for a decent, used acoustic archtop instead of one of these. Many of an archtop's sonic characteristics are similar to those of the original Selmers -- strong acoustical volume with thumping attack and not much sustain.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Gnease, the guitar I really want is a Dell'Arte swing -- but it's going to be a bit before I drop 3 grand on a guitar . . .

I just went last night to see Dorado Schmitt one of the top guys in this style in the world. I was pleasantly surprised to see him playing a Gitane DG-250M!!!!

I'm guessing that's probably all the endorsement I need :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The construction and build quality for the price are pretty good. The other pieces of the story are sound and feel. Have you actually played one yet? If so, and it works for you, do it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote