Clear all

trouble with music

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys, got a dilema.. I'm just starting to try to work out my own tab for stiff upper lip, I'm on seconds 1 to 5... it's really slow going, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I'd like to play the songs, but i don't want to be a guy who just plays other peoples songs, but I'm not great at song writing and i get lost trying to come up with chord variations. I keep returning to gcd or a variation thereof..

Anyway, i guess my problem is i still can't seem to be original, maybe my mind hasn't figured out how to express itself through my guitar yet. I watch my favourate players and try to figure out what drives them to be so passionate...

Well, thanks again for listening. I'll talk to you all later
Cheers

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@Anonymous)

Hi guys, got a dilema.. I'm just starting to try to work out my own tab for stiff upper lip, I'm on seconds 1 to 5... it's really slow going, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I'd like to play the songs, but i don't want to be a guy who just plays other peoples songs, but I'm not great at song writing and i get lost trying to come up with chord variations. I keep returning to gcd or a variation thereof..

Anyway, i guess my problem is i still can't seem to be original, maybe my mind hasn't figured out how to express itself through my guitar yet. I watch my favourate players and try to figure out what drives them to be so passionate...

Well, thanks again for listening. I'll talk to you all later
Cheers

Let me tell you something I heard John Fogerty of CCR say about this. He said you learn HOW to play by playing OTHER people's songs. The next step is to break up their songs into smaller pieces and then maybe combine different pieces together even from different artists. Eventually you will have your own songs. I think that is an EXCELLENT approach to developing your own style. Right now I am content in learning other people's songs...

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

To add to what MikeSPE said...

Most writers are tremendous readers. Same concept different medium. To try and write your own music without first playing the music of others would be no different than working as a genetic scientist without ever studing the works of Gregor Medel or James Watson and Francis Crick.

To do so would be trying to reinvent the wheel. There is no need to do that, just use that wheel to get where you are going.

By playing the music of others you will begin to understand, recognize and utilize chord progressions other than GCD. GCD by the way is a 1 4 5 progression that can be applied to any key. For more on that browse the Theory Forum where those with way more knowledge than me answer numerous questions that might be on your mind.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I will echo the other coments and add that most musicians are influenced by others before them.
Bob Dylan started off imulating his idol Woody Guthrie.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I had the same problem when I started writing songs.I found something called the circle of 5th's (fith's) on the net somewhere.It kinda shows you what chords fit with each other.I dont know how or why it works as I no bugger all about music theory.I think from memory you can also use it to transpose songs into a different key.
I am writing this from memory so all of the above might be complete horse s**t.

hope this helps and good luck with the song writing.

Tip: If you do write a good tune and melody but find the idea of writing the words a bit daunting have a look on the net for poetry or lyric sites.You can find loads of sites with unpublished poetry and lyrics which you can borrow to get you started.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Imulate? He offered him up as a sacrifice?

I think you meant emulate :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think that would be immolate..... :D

Imulate is to make someone look like a donkey isn't it? :P I'm constantly imulating myself around here.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm constantly imulating myself around here.... :wink:

Yeah, I think I just did it to myself . . .

:)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think you meant emulate :)
I was spelling it fenetikly :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

personally, I like the word "imulate"...sort of a cross between "Imitate" and "emulate"....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I like all three - he imulated his idol (he liked him so much he copied his every move while setting himself ablaze and dancing in the flames)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote