Clear all

Good lesson books? $57 dollars to use up at barnes + noble

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I recently discovered that I've a $57 gift card to barnes and noble books that will be expiring soon, so I really outta use it up. Being that any book i want to read or need for school i can borrow from my library, I've decided to spend most of it on something for guitar, guitar instruction books or other things like that. Does any one have any good suggestions? I've been looking to better my vibrato and possibly start to learn sweep picking, any good books on this topic? Any just overall guitar books that would be worth getting? Thanks.

heres a link to their site http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I would throw in my suggestion for a David Mead books.

100 Tips for Blues Guitar ( http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1844920011 )

I really liked this book. He also has a chords and scales book that was great as well.

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I found this book (in my local library) to be very interesting:

"How to Write Songs on Guitar" - Rikky Rooksby

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=xt1vKeIASI&isbn=0879306114&itm=3

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Just a tip: You might try searching sites like Hal Leonard and Mel Bay or any other publisher of music books that you can think of, (there are many but these are the big ones,) then if you see something you want, order it from B & N. I'm just thinking that you might more readily narrow your search to the type of books you are interested in that way. Just about any book in print can be ordered through B & N. Or try Amazon. Whenever I try to search B & N by subject I get tons of hits that are waaaay off the mark. (Like typing in "guitar" and finding a book on being a pastry chef third on the list. :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

No recommendations for your specific topics, but for learning a particular artists songs, I like the Hal Leonard Signature Licks series (which doesn't really focus on licks, but breaks songs down into managable sections with good transcriptions and some useful examples on the CD's).
Blues You Can Use (or even the Hal Leonard Blues Guitar book from the Guitar Method series) and Stetina's Total Rock Guitar aren't bad for learning the meat of their respective styles.
Erlewine's Guitar Player's Repair Guide is a great reference to have if you do your own work.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Sorry, I have to ask.

Why $57 ? :shock:

Who gives a gift card worth $57 ?
Do you work for the Heinz Pickle Company (57 Varieties)?

Why not $50 $55 or $60 ?

:lol:

Sorry for sounding like George Castanza but I just had to ask.

(Probably just left over credit from a $75)

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Well I'm not sure about RollinRock, but in my case my in-laws send me a check on my birthday for each year, y'know like 33rd birthday I get 33 bucks, something like that. So I can hardly wait till I'm like 500 or something. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

something by stetina

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote