Notifications
Clear all

Gretsch - opinions?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@gwydi)
Topic starter  

Ever since seeing Chris Cheney's (The Living End), I've been in love with the Gretsch White Falcon (although I think his is an original, not a reissue, but we can't all be rich rock stars).

I turn 40 in a few years and am planning to save to buy myself one, but in the meantime I was thinking of getting one of their basic guitars. I played a Double Jet yesterday and loved it, but it's out of my price range. So I was thinking of a Junior Jet II.

Any opinions on the JJ2, and/or Gretsch guitars in general? I know they're made by Fender but I don't know enough about guitars to know if that matters or not. I'm in Australia, so they're all imports to me.

BTW I'm only in my first year of learning guitar (at 37), so my needs are fairly basic. My other guitar is an Ibanez semiacoustic which I love.

Thanks,
Gwydi

http://www.gwydi.com

(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Maybe it's a generation thing? I'll turn the Big 40 in August
I grew up with funky shaped flying Vs, Strataclones and
anything with a weird shape and a locking whammy bar.
Nowadays, if it don't have "F" holes... I find it suspect.
I've never actually played one, but from what I've seen,
Gretsch knows what they are doing when it comes to workmanship.
The way I figure, if they're going to go to that extreme to
MAKE the thing, then they probably went that far to make it SOUND
that good too. :)

LOL I wonder if Grolsch Beer drinkers like Gretsch Guitars?

and if this is any indication, Brian Setzer Rocks :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Gretsch are excellent guitars - buy one. In fact, buy two. Sell your children for medical experiments; mortgage the cat; invent fictitious relatives, insure them and then pretend they've popped their clogs - whatever it takes.

I want to be a Gretsch when I grow up.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I recently tried a 500 dollar Gretch and it rules! It was the only guitar that I really liked besides the usual Strats... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I honestly think the best guitar made today is the Chet Atkins Signature Gretsch.

The other Gretsch guitars are exceptional instruments as well, you really can't go wrong with a Gretsch.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gretch is a name that has been rehabilitated in more recent times by better quality control. Sure the vintage Gretches have their cool vibe, but the quality was very hit or miss. If one goes vintage Gretch, be careful. OTOH, the latest (last 10 years) Gretch stuff steadily improved quality-wise. Just need to make sure you are getting the right pups in the right model, as there's been a bit of mix'n'match going on.

The White Falcon's beauty is really in the eye of the beholder -- I've read comment's on both its coolness and its ugliness -- but never anything between the extremes.

I think Ibanez has the near future guitar market figured out as evidenced in the Artcore line.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I have not played any electrics, but I played two different model of acoustics the other day. One model for around $550 US was not good at all, then the other that was several hundred more was quite a nice guitar. If you played one and were happy with it, then great. Don't just get the guitar cause you want a Gretsch, though. Play some other similar guitars in varying price ranges. You may find one cheaper that is much better. Don't be afraid to pick up a really expensive guitar at your local shoppe, just to be able to compare it to those cheaper guitars.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Forgot about those Gretch acoustics -- IMO they are a gimmick line created by Fender (owner of Gretch!) to capitalize on the distinctive Gretch look. Too bad about those. Stick with the electrics. Not sure what's going on with Fender and acoustics, but under Fender, Guild is pretty disappointing too.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Forgot about those Gretch acoustics -- IMO they are a gimmick line created by Fender (owner of Gretch!) to capitalize on the distinctive Gretch look. Too bad about those. Stick with the electrics. Not sure what's going on with Fender and acoustics, but under Fender, Guild is pretty disappointing too.

I also have found Gretch acoustics to be shoddy in all areas... however... :) I was at GC a few days ago, and picked one off the wall, and was blown away. I may just go pick it up... great playability and an incredibly open sound, which is something I'm always looking for.

Not sure if I can swing the money right now, as I just finished putting my studio together, but oh wow would I like to get that bad boy in my house...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hard to argue with sound and feel. Maybe there's a change in process for Gretch acoustics. As always, every guitar should be judged individually. Generalizations are, after all, merely opinions and probably should be considered handy guides for narrowing the selection field and/or assessing the risk of mail order.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Like I said, One Model sucked and the other was good. I played two different guitars of both models and the one model sucked and the other was good. Personally, I'd rather have an Ovation, or even the Fender Acoustic /Electrics that were cheaper were better. Like gnease said, if it plays fine and feels fine, then it that says something for the guitar.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote