Clear all

GripMaster doe it Work or Not?

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have an opinion about the GripMaster? http://www.music123.com/Planet-Waves-Gripmaster-i70843.music Is it a gimic or does it really work? Looking for help with barre chords...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They do work, but you don't need one to strengthen your grip. You can use anything that is firm but has some "give" in it, such as a tennis ball.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

They work good if you need some extra strength in your pinky, or individual fingers.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You can become very good at the gripmaster by using it.

Fortunately you don't really need to strangle a guitar one handed.

If you need more hand strength to play barre chords, practice playing barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I have a bit of arthritis and I use one in the car to loosen up my hands before a gig

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You can become very good at the gripmaster by using it.

I nearly fell out of my chair and pushed soda out of my nose on that one. I was kind of wondering that myself cause so many people say that you dont have to put much pressure on the guitar to make the barre chord. But when I play them, not that I am any good at it, my arms tired quickly. But I guess what you are saying is that instead of buying a device like that, my arms will strenthing in time by playing them.

Nuff rambling
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

before i started doing finger tip pushups i used a ball of wax. anything that causes resistance, such as a handball or tennis ball will help develop hand, wrist, and forearm strength. however, stretching is just as important

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sorry about that Geoo.

Twisty brings up a good point, what you really need is warmup and stretching. You don't want musclebound fingers and hands.

To get strength in your fingers play more, but warm up first.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have one that i keep in the car and it was very useful. it made it easier to finger any chord, open or barre. it's also superb for the pinky. it's not a required piece of equipment, but it helps.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I see we have some gripmaster fans. Don't listen to me because I don't use one.

I tell you what I think really helps is piano style finger exercises you can do on your desk. I'll see if I can find them printed out somewhere and post them.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The key to finger strength for playing the guitar is ... playing the guitar.

Want finger speed and accuracy that will astound your fellow players? Here's the secret. Get an accoustic guitar and raise that action HIGH. Put the heaviest guage strings on it you can and just play the thing.

Barre chords, riffs, whole songs. Use it as your practice guitar.

It won't take nearly as long as you suspect, and you'll actually develop the finger control you need to go along with that strength you want.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Get an accoustic guitar and raise that action HIGH. Put the heaviest guage strings on it you can and just play the thing.I've read that Buddy Guy often practices with heavy-gauge strings, then performs with a lighter set, "like a baseball player warming up with two bats."
I wanted something to work on s t r e t c h i n g as well as grip strength, so I acquired a Doc Zac "Handmaster Plus." My job last year involved a lot of "watching and waiting." I couldn't do guitar practice during slack time, but it was conducive to using the Doc Zac. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Practice/Tools?sku=421170 8)

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all - great dialog here... BTW - I play on an acoustic and that is my primary method of strengthen/control, but was just looking for a supplement... I may get one to help control my pinky...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Everyone here made a good point.

I have a Gripmaster and used it for a while in the beginning for the commute to work in the car. I was willing to try anything to help in the beginning.

It helped me with Gripmaster but not too much with guitar. I agree sctretching exercises on guitar are better, especially for the pinky for 4 fret stretches and getting the fingers to act independently.

I think stretching is most beneficial and should be done before and after using gripmaster. if nothing else, in the beginning it will help you to start trying to get your fingers working independently.

With the Gripmaster, it shows you are willing to work on your abilities in any way that may help. It shows you are motviated and that is a good thing.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The key to finger strength for playing the guitar is ... playing the guitar.

Want finger speed and accuracy that will astound your fellow players? Here's the secret. Get an accoustic guitar and raise that action HIGH. Put the heaviest guage strings on it you can and just play the thing.

Barre chords, riffs, whole songs. Use it as your practice guitar.

It won't take nearly as long as you suspect, and you'll actually develop the finger control you need to go along with that strength you want.

That's so true.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2