Clear all

guitar problem

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

whenever i switch pickups with the pickup selector, i don't get sound out of certain pickups.

sometimes the bridge pickup could have no sound and all the rest work fine, or something the bridge works perfectly but the middle and neck have no sound.

sometimes neck has no sound but the rest do.

what could be the problem?

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Thats the way pup selectors work. If you select the bridge pup, then that will be the only active pup. If you select both the bridge and center, then only those pups will pick-up vibrations and so forth...

Are you new to electrics?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

no, i am saying if i switch the pickup selector to the neck pickup, there is completely no sound from my amp at all.

then i switch to the middle pickup and there is sound. same with bridge

i play a little and then the middle combo sound cuts out on me, i swithc to neck position and suprisngly i get sound.

but then a few secons later i'd be playing on the bridge pickup and switch to the enck, and the sound completely cuts out, no sound at all from my amp.

i'd have to wiggle the selector a little bit to get any sound at all

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sounds like a dirty or otherwise intermittant switch.
Or loose/damaged connections in the wiring.

Probably not too hard a fix for someone who is able to solder.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Try and spray some electronic spray (sorry, I forget the name of the cleaner) into your switch (WD40 for electronics'). If that doesn't work you might need to install a new 5-way (is it your strat?).

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

... and if you do need to replace the switch, it's pretty cheap

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Try and spray some electronic spray (sorry, I forget the name of the cleaner) into your switch (WD40 for electronics'). If that doesn't work you might need to install a new 5-way (is it your strat?).Be very careful choosing your spray for electronics, especially WD40. Regular WD40 has the nickname 'servo-killer' in radio-control circles, and it's not much less lethal for other electronics sometimes. It's fine for switches etc (very good in fact), but it has to be the right version for anything like pre-amps etc.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Try and spray some electronic spray (sorry, I forget the name of the cleaner) into your switch (WD40 for electronics'). If that doesn't work you might need to install a new 5-way (is it your strat?).Be very careful choosing your spray for electronics, especially WD40. Regular WD40 has the nickname 'servo-killer' in radio-control circles, and it's not much less lethal for other electronics sometimes. It's fine for switches etc (very good in fact), but it has to be the right version for anything like pre-amps etc.

Tuner cleaner or contact cleaner is what is needed here. WD-40 is NOT good for switches. In fact is it not good for much at all, except as a temporary measure for unsticking some mechanisms, dissolving light gunk and displacing moisture. It is NOT an electonics cleaner. It is NOT a good lubricant. It is closer to penetrating oil than a lubricant.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

After years of using all kinds of cleaners on my pedalboards and whatnot, I was told about this stuff:

http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=deoxit

It's the best contact cleaner I've ever used. I don't buy anything else now.

I also got ProGold from the same manufacturer, which cleans and conditions contact points, but DeOxit is terriffic.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

No no no. What I meant was, the contact clean is like WD-40 for electronics'. I wasn't syaing use WD-40.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Mike

ReplyQuote