Clear all

Guitar Travel

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm getting the pleasure of flying out to Alaska with my uncle to visit his family(he's a pilot with Northwest Airlines), for free. The hitch is that I'm going for 5-6 weeks, and the problem being I don't want to not play guitar for that long. Partially being worried about losing skill, and partially just because it's a fun and comforting experience. Aside from a flight case for my guitar (most likely my acoustic) does anyone have reccomendations for shipping a guitar in the cargo hold of an airplane? I would say it's a carry on, but it is far too large... Any input is great.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Took my acoustic out to Spain on Holiday, bought a hard case which was almost as expensive as the guitar....but the guitar got there and back OK...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

This topic has been discussed here before so you may want to do a search on this forum for additional ideas.

I travel with my acoustic in a hardcase. I only checked it as normal baggage on one trip and it made it back & forth fine.
I've read that you should detune the strings before air travel - I assume this is to compensate for the large temperature drop (& pressure drop?) in the cargo hold.
If the flight is not crowded, thay may let you carry on the guitar if you ask nicely. In most cases though, you can "gate check" the guitar where it will be put in/out as cargo by hand from the jetway. I've done this this several times with no damage.
Good luck

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Some one suggested packing some clothes and stuff around the head and neck to keep it from shifting on the flight. At the very least use a hard shell case!!!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As laoch said, check whether the airline will accept "Delivery at Aircraft". It basically means that you take it to the aircraft as hand luggage, but hand it over for stowage in the hold, during the flight. When you arrive, it will be on a trolley, outside the aircraft and taken as hand luggage again. Although it's in the hold, it isn't subject to the "tender loving care" meted out to normal checked luggage!!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For an acoustic, the strings should be tuned down a couple steps, but not completely loosened -- this protects the top from undue stress during temperature changes. However, what is even more critical is support of the headstock. Even in the toughest case, a simple forward or backward drop from "standing" positon to flat on the ground will snap off most mahogany headstocks if unsupported. Pack tightly crumpled newspaper in front and behind the headstock to completely support it in both directions. After packing, the headstock's fit inside the case should be snug and it should require some slight pressure to actually close the case. And of course, the rest of the guitar also should be packed to inhibit any shifting.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I've flown with my guitar twice now and both times the flight attendent put it up in a closet right between first class and coach. Just ask at check-in. they'll at least let you hold onto it until you board, and if they can't find a space for it in the cabin, at least you know it's one of the last things on, along with the baby strollers and the wheelchairs. If you're flying with an airline employee, I'd say you should have no problem bringing it on.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Next time I get to talk to my uncle I'll be sure to ask, luckily I have a hardshell case, and it's molded. My guitar is an Epiphone PR5-E and it came with a custom fit case... I'll be sure to pack all the empty spaces and make it slightly difficult to close the lid. Extra thanks to gnease for the heads-up on the neck. I hope my guitar isn't manhandled, but I'll take precautions anyway.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

Just so you are aware, I just flew 2months ago to Dallas Texas and they searched in my luggage left it a mess and they put a note in it saying it was inspected, I don't think I would want to put my Guitar with luggage I would try hard to take it on board with you.

ReplyQuote