Clear all

Temptation Thwarted

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

First of all, as some of you might have noticed in other posts, I'm not generally a Gibson fan -- were I into Les Pauls, that might be different, but whatever. That said, I've been on the prowl for a new axe (or axes!) recently, even thinking I might convince the wife that a really good one might be an investment (pretty weak). Yesterday, I headed down to my favorite mom 'n' pop hoping to find a treasure or two. All the way over this mental mosquito is buzzing around the netherbrain going "Johnny A zzz... Johnny A zzz." I ignore that, knowing the shop, though incredibly well stocked with high-end stuff, won't have one. But d@mned if the the Gibson Custom Shop truck isn't sitting in parking lot when I arrive, and hanging front and center, visible from the door is a Johnny A signature model. And right next to it was a Larry Carlton "Mr 335." I played the Johnny A unplugged for 5 minutes and was sold -- but they would not sell it to me. Never have I so close to dropping nearly 3k on anything with the Gibson marque. It's only a matter of time.

Consolation prize: picked up a MicroKorg. My kid loves it. I just found her trying to sing "that song from School of Rock" through the vocoder. Had to explain to her that Robert Plant sings Immigrant Song sans electronica. She also asked me how to play Highway to Hell. Think maybe I've underestimated the musical influence of that flick.

-=tension & release=-

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Why wouldnt they sell it to you?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Gibson guy made an excuse about it needing a neck pitch adjustment, but I didn't buy that as the geometry seemed better than that on a lot of the Custom Shop Les Pauls hanging there. I think the real reason is there is a waiting list and they don't have many display models.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd check the bank account to see if the wife recently sent a check to the Gibson guy.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Now that would be nice, except she doesn't even know Johnny's A from hole in the ground -- or something like that. And as you may have surmised from direct experience, Nick, if it can't be brought to a mall, she probably doesn't even consider buying. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Jeez, Gibson can be, well, snobbish at times...

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Maybe if your child makes it big as a singer now that Robert Plan and ACDC have her attention (good places to start),s he can buy you two

:twisted: :)

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'd check the bank account to see if the wife recently sent a check to the Gibson guy.

Now that would be nice, except she doesn't even know Johnny's A from hole in the ground

I think he meant to pay off the guy so he WOULDN'T sell it to you. :D Not that she was buying it for you as a "gift" or something. heh

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Could be, except, she's done it before -- I own headless Hohner that was once belonged to Nick. My wife picked up one my random comments about Nick selling off guitars and took the initiative to buy one for me. She actually bought the wrong guitar, but the Hohner is cool. The "transaction" occurred in a DC area mall. I've never mentioned the Johnny A model to her. Maybe I should. Though it's quite likely she'd bring home a Goldtop reissue instead of the Johnny A.

This is beginnning to sound like the premise for a country song. (Dibs, Nick.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

lol, this is funny. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe if your child makes it big as a singer now that Robert Plan and ACDC have her attention (good places to start),s he can buy you two

Heh -- don't think so. This is a tune she wrote and sang a couple years ago: Kid's Song

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I listened to the song, how cute!! :D :D

Four Words: Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb.

"HelllllloooooooooOOOoooooooo.........."

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redman)

Heh -- don't think so. This is a tune she wrote and sang a couple years ago: Kid's Song
Gotta say I've heard worse on commercial radio. I agree with the above, kinda cute and entertaining. When is the first CD to be released?

Redman

ReplyQuote