Clear all

Guitar's appearance important?

58 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

no offense but thats one ugly guitar dont take this the wrong way but dont too caught up in the whole look of guitar and the scene or whatever and forget its about music

Note: This thread has been split from this thread Gibson with a Crate Amp. Thanks. Musenfreund

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@davidhodge)

no offense but thats one ugly guitar dont take this the wrong way but dont too caught up in the whole look of guitar and the scene or whatever and forget its about music

I think that if you've read OWA's post (not to mention any of her other posts on other threads) you'd see that she's put a lot of thought into her choice. Also she certainly isn't the type to get a guitar simply based on looks.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think that if you've read OWA's post (not to mention any of her other posts on other threads) you'd see that she's put a lot of thought into her choice. Also she certainly isn't the type to get a guitar simply based on looks.

Peace

And Explorers are not toys or fads any more than are Flying Vs or LPs, but sonically respected guitars in their own right. There are only a few members of GN that are older than the Explorer design :wink: Whether or not you believe it's ugly, it most definitely is a classic.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

No offense but looks are based on opinion. So what I think looks good and what you think looks good are different. So why you posted that, I have no idea.

gnease is right though. I don't know how old exactly the design is, but Gibson does have a 1976 reissue, so it's at least 30 years old.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

owa,

the explorer is a great guitar, and imo i think they look cool, so go for it 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

here to make up for it i came across one epi explore on http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517235X but may i suggest a jackson perhaps

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I did actually consider that guitar, still am actually since I like the gothic series. That one is plan b if for some reason I can't raise the money for a Gibson,

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not to be argumentive or anything, but I think the look of a guitar is very important to the owner. We choose many things because of their looks, our clothes, cars, etc....

I would never be caught dead with one of those Randy Rhodes Jacksons.

Randy Rhodes Jackson

Man, if you walk out on stage with one of those, you better be really great. And super fast too.

Now I am sure this is an excellent quality guitar with great tone that plays like a dream. But it is just too much for me.

But another person may believe this is the most beautiful guitar ever made. And maybe this guitar would inspire them to practice till they can play like Randy Rhodes. So, nothing wrong with this guitar. But everybody has there own taste and style.

And that is a good thing.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I personally think that anyone that says they don't care at all about looks when buying a care is lying. Well most people anyway.

I mean, when you go to a music store, you see hundreds of guitars, some on stands, some hanging on the wall. The problem is, you don't know how they sound hanging on the wall. So usually, you go with whatever catches your eye. Some people do have a certain make and model in mind before they go, but even still, the same models come in different colours so again, you try out whatever pleases your eye. Looks may not be the only factor, but it is a factor.

So unless you start at one end of the wall and work your way across, or play spin the bottle at the store with the guitars (no kissing them lol) then you chose based on what you see.

On a side note, the Explorer will have to wait, the company changed their minds at the last minute about hiring me.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

That's a real bummer. Hope things work out still.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I've got a 58 explorer re-issue, someone might not like the look and that's fine - but don't be fooled man that thing sounds great.

Bummer about that job.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't like randy rhodes or explorer or any other one as far as looks are concerned.

Till now i haven't played electric guitars , so my opinions are based on looks of the guitar and the the ability of player.

In my opinion ability of the player is the most important factor for a good sound.
Thousands own Les paul , American strat , SG and yet there are very few Slash , Hendrix or Angus Young.

A modest way of learning and a continuous one can take us far i guess...

To bring Teleplayer's quote -

"Its not how many toys you have , its what you do with them"

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

owa,

sorry about the job, keep chopping away at it, that explorer will be yours in no time :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rahul

Yes, a beginner cannot do much with a high quality guitar, and a great guitarist can play good on anything, but......

A cheap, poorly built guitar can hold back the development of a beginner. If a guitar has very high action, if it goes out of tune easily, etc.... this can slow down the learning process and make learning to play very frustrating. Many beginners have become frustrated and given up guitar because an instrument was poorly built and very difficult to play.

So, spending the money to buy a higher quality guitar is worth it, even for a beginner. These guitars will be very easy to play and stay in tune. This will encourage a beginner.

And if they quit, they were gonna quit anyway. Gives us other guitarists a chance to pick up a nice guitar at a yard sale. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i totally agree with wes, the caliber of guitar will affect your playing, especially if you are a beginer, as to where an accomplished player can play on a lower level guitar and sound decent, it basically goes like this, if you play with crap, your going to smell like crap :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4