Notifications
Clear all

Guitar's appearance important?

58 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i totally agree with wes, the caliber of guitar will affect your playing, especially if you are a beginer, as to where an accomplished player can play on a lower level guitar and sound decent, it basically goes like this, if you play with crap, your going to smell like crap :wink:

The definition of crap is very wide.Some (and a lot of ) players tell their gear 'crap' but actually its their PLAYING which is crap.

I have read reviews even about Fender MIA as being with stock pups and buzzing (don't ask about MIM lol...).I don't know how this is possible.Probably they don't handle their guitars pretty well then...

Of course a 50 $ guitar won't take you far but that doesn't mean you have to spend above 500 or something as a beginner guitar.If you have money your lucky , if you don't , well there is nothing to despair about.

And the only thing to remember is that a good guitar will take away the hum , will remain in tune and blah blah blah BUT a simple 150 $ guitar isn't that bad that it won't let you play or suck your tone out.

My opinion ...

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

i totally agree with wes, the caliber of guitar will affect your playing, especially if you are a beginer, as to where an accomplished player can play on a lower level guitar and sound decent, it basically goes like this, if you play with crap, your going to smell like crap :wink:
The definition of crap is very wide.Some (and a lot of ) players tell their gear 'crap' but actually its their PLAYING which is crap.
Very true, but their playing will not significantly improve, no matter what guitar they have in their hands. A beginner, on the other hand, who migrates from a piece of rubbish to a "good" guitar may well improve, drastically, in a matter of minutes.
I have read reviews even about Fender MIA as being with stock pups and buzzing (don't ask about MIM lol...).I don't know how this is possible.Probably they don't handle their guitars pretty well then...
It depends on what you call buzzing. As you've mentioned pickups, I assume that you are referring to AC hum. Unless you are playing with Lace Sensors, Fender noiseless or Kinman pickups, you ARE going to have AC hum from single coil pickups, even Fender Custom Shop guitars.
Why shouldn't I ask about MIMs? MIAs are not significantly better - they are better, but not so much that MIMs become a joke.
And the only thing to remember is that a good guitar will take away the hum , will remain in tune and blah blah blah BUT a simple 150 $ guitar isn't that bad that it won't let you play or suck your tone out.
As I said, no sc pickup, other than those mentioned above (they are the only noiseless sc pickups available as stock from Fender, as far as I know) ALL sc pickups are prone to AC hum.
There are $150 guitars that aren't bad, but there are many more, in that price range, that are, though.
My opinion ...

Rahul
To which you're perfectly entitled.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A nice way Greybeard , you have properly analysed my post.:wink:

Thanks for taking out that time.

I said , don't ask about MIMs and that was a satire.When people are on their way to critisise even MIAs then you can imagine yourself what are their views about MIMs.

I love MIMs myself and i am sure it would be my first electric guitar.(and then i won't look at those reviews.)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

When people are on their way to critisise even MIAs then you can imagine yourself what are their views about MIMs.
On the contrary, there are many who use MIMs (and even Squiers) as the standard against which they judge the MIAs.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

On the contrary, there are many who use MIMs (and even Squiers) as the standard against which they judge the MIAs.

Like me :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Oh and while I'm at it - I can see the attraction in Explorers and things, but I just love the look of Teles. And Les Pauls, though I don't really like LP's to play - just don't sound like myself on one. But the most beautiful and satisfying guitar to look at has to be a Nik Huber Dolphin - oh drool - though I don't think I'd ever dare gig with one. (Let alone afford one ...)

Which is another point for Teles - totally working people's tools - just functional and right!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Of course a 50 $ guitar won't take you far but that doesn't mean you have to spend above 500 or something as a beginner guitar.If you have money your lucky , if you don't , well there is nothing to despair about.

It all depends on how you look at it. I'd never buy an Epiphone really. Why? Because the $200-$600 that I spent on it could've went to a Gibson. I don't think it would matter how well it sounded, there would be this little thing in the back of my mind regretting it wishing that I would've waited for the Gibson. It's not smart, but it's how I think.
Oh and while I'm at it - I can see the attraction in Explorers and things, but I just love the look of Teles. And Les Pauls, though I don't really like LP's to play - just don't sound like myself on one. But the most beautiful and satisfying guitar to look at has to be a Nik Huber Dolphin - oh drool - though I don't think I'd ever dare gig with one. (Let alone afford one ...)

I don't like how the Les Pauls look or play. I've only tried a couple but the tone wasn't heavy enough, the neck felt funny and it didn't want to stay in my lap. Fenders I'm not a fan of the look but did like the tone better than the Les Pauls.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

My opinion:

Guitar appearance important? I hope not and you would know what I mean if you saw my duct tape bass.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

why am i the author of this thread all the sudden?? haha

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I suspect that you started a new thread instead of replying to the original thread that you were in (Onewingangel's?).

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Dudes, I play a squier fat strat, it sounds good to me, and I have had no problem keeping up with learning, I want it to sound so much better, I don't assume it's the guitar, but the player. SO, I keep on plugging away. The guitar is insignificant in my opinion, but the music is important.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, Greybeard's right. I split the thread last night but didn't have a chance to post an explanation. I added a note to your first post now to explain it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My first thought is that appearances are not important. However, that cannot be true for me. I spent the extra $$ on my Epi for the gold trim, etc. DOH!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You should thank musenfreund for giving you a free authorship :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I'm one to go for shark tooth inlays on my Ibanez, so I can't say that appearence doesn't matter. More then anything the guitar has to feel right to me, or I won't bother with it.

And for the record I've never tryed a Mexican or American Fender Strat or Tele to know how good or bad they are.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4