Notifications
Clear all

Have I gone too far? (MOD Pics Added)

54 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, TR, it's kind of hard to beat that tone for anything under 5 bills. Job well done playing, purchasing and getting them set up.

I've got a couple of technical questions for you. I know you do the 9's (and why not, eh?) and I know you set the strings up as low as they'll go without mass buzzing. Where do you position the pickups? I just made a reversal this past week and went from high to lower due to some weird noises coming through on my LP custom when played with more agressive tones.

I'm in the category of change the strings when the sound like crap or start behaving oddly regarding keeping in tune. Oddly enough, the strings on my PRS SE Paul Allender (with the strat like bridge) were behaving poorly unitl this last install. My white Ibanez, you know the one, had the high e string go bad after only 2 months, max. I wonder if what appears to be neat bridge and saddle system doesn't work so well. So far, so good with this set. I am wondering it it was because I had to loosen them all to ge the new pickups in. I was just wondering if you had similar experience with your gold version of mine.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, these pickups were positioned nice out of the box. I don't measure the height though, I eyeball it. The neck is about even with the top of the ring. The bridge is a little bit above. These are the stock ones, my new ones come Tuesday. I will probably set at a similar height. I bet these Rondo pickups do clean better than the ones I'm putting on, but I live in the distorted tone so I'm installing the GFS Crunchy PAT's. I ordered the zebra ones. Oh ... the amp I was playing through? $99 Peavey VYPYR 15 watter.

The Ibanex has played flawlessly for me. No issues what so ever. No breakage or tuning issues. Interesting you mentioned that though cause I have the new strings on the Agile and want to keep them when I change the pickups. It is always tricky. I should have waited for the new strings til I got the pickups but I wasn't sure if I was ordering the new pickups yet til I tried it with the new strings. The stock Agile pickups just don't have the harmonics and power I like. They are just like the ones that came on my Epiphone SG (coincidentally Korean made as well) The Chineese Epiphone pickups are nice though. Go figure? Yeah, the Agile is Korean.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, we live on different amp settings, don't we. :)

I'm writing my ibanez string issues off on the loosening and tightening. It's behaved for weeks now. Actually, one less week than the other set lasted. Plus, it was the one string. Not all of them were misbehaving. I replaced the set, of course.

I've actually never had problems before with the loosening and tightening thing. I figure at this rate, no sense being too anal about changing them after other adjustments being made.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Just seen the vid - it looks and sounds very nice :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Why thank you! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Got the Crunchy PAT's in and they sound great. I'd say 95% as good as a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I also got the nashville bridge in and intonation is perfection. New video coming soon!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, nobody really seems to care what it looks like now ...... how about what it sounds like? It's on Hear Here. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49168

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, i think the new pickups look better, and it sounds like you're getting some pretty decent sustain out of them. i can't really comment much on the tone through laptop speakers, though.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Awesome thread. Looks like a new record! The pics are great, congrats on the purchases and a job well done. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4