Clear all

help me make a practice schedule

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well guys, i was sitting watching the srv live at el macombo dvd, and i realized that if i ever want to get to srv status i really gotta get my act together. I wanna spend a lot of time practicing instead of sitting on my ass online. Problem with that is, i might have to stop coming here for a few months.

so i don't know where to start, i heard srv practiced morning till night without moving, but whaty kind of things do you think he practiced? and what should i do while practicing? should each day be a day for practicing a certain technique?

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What happened to your teacher? Wasn't it you who had the 8-track of your teacher? From my memory he was really good.

Please tell me my memory isn't slipin'!!!

P.S. I'm still looking for the SRV Live at El Macombo DVD! It's a hard find in my neck of the woods!

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yea i still have my teacher, but still

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

But still what..... Tell him what you what to get out of your guitar playing. After all, he hears you the most (besides you and your dad). He knows where you are now and he should know where you want to go. No?

You are young and time is in your favore (<spelling). Your doing great. I wish I started that young!

Edit: Another thing to add is I have two children (boys 2 & 6) and I'm here when ever I can to help and ask questions myself and I don't feel like my playing is suffering. And for the record from what I see, your not on THIS site all that much.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Dude come on you dont need to stop coming to GN, thats like a weight lifter saying hes not going to run anymore because losing calories makes him look smaller. The benefits are different, the goals are the same.

Ive got a pretty tight schedule going now, it can easilly pass 3-7 hours in a day. If your interest ill send you the info im using.

SRV played all day every day, but had a very undisciplined approach to his practice which is what made a good player...

Trial+error+lots of time= mistakes.

People learn from their mistakes.

Learning+Lots of practice= Excellent guitarist

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yea sure, you can e-mail the info to [email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@uraliss)

Hi Kido
I would be very interested in this too.

Please can you mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Rich,

I think its a great thing that you want to improve at guitar. The advice I have for you is, your at an age where you should be doing other things besides guitar. Although it may seem that guitar is the most important thing in your life and thats all that matters, I think if you get too serious about practicing and not living a balanced life, you may regret it when your older. Go hang with friends, go to movies, hang out with girls, do some artwork, put the guitar down for a day or two, ect.

The best part is that your at an age where your going to get really good if you just keep practicing daily. Just don't take it too seriously and have fun!

-dcarroll

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote