Clear all

High 3rd Tuning???

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently applied to a local studio to see if they could use any guitarists. While I was thinking that I had pretty much been around the horn, the owner, a piano virtuoso, asked me a couple questions like "Can you play Nashville style rhythm?", and this one, " Can you play with a high 3rd tuning?". Well I had to say no because I had never heard of this. He tried to explain about changing the 3rd string on the guitar and tuning it differently, supposedly makes a 6 string sound like a 12 string. Any one had any experience with this?

Mark

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there's swapping out the lower strings on your guitar for the light strings from a 12-string guitar pack.

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I had heard of that and I'm not real sure if that is not what he meant. I plan to have a meeting with him and discuss further later.

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is a good little article describing the "Nashville Tuning"

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip164.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Man, you guys are great. Thanks for the tip. Now do you know if this will work on any guitar or do I need to make all the necessary adjustments such as intonation, neck, bridge, Is this good for acoustic, or electric or both. Sorry to sound so dumb but this has sparked my interest now.

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have never used this tuning, but I can't see why you couldn't string any 6 string acoustic or electric this way. With the lighter gauge strings on the guitar it is possible the neck would stretch out, so you might have to slightly loosen the truss rod and adjust the relief. And perhaps you would have to adjust the intonation and action as well. Probably best to dedicate a guitar to this tuning.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes, Oh boy, now I got GAS. Let's see, a cheap semi hollow Gretsch type guitar with this stringing and next thing you know we're doing gospel and western swing. Man I hate it when I get this feeling but it sure is fun to satisfy it. My wife is going to hate me considering I just bought a cheap bass. This is why I like guitarnoise.com. I have heard of the Nashville tuning, but thought that it referred to steel guitars and E9th setup. Now I can call my friend back and let him know that I can do this thing. Wish me luck.
Mark

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One more question--Is this like slack key tuning?

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

There was a thread on Nasvhille tuning a few months ago. There are two "versions" of Nashville tuning that I've encountered. One is what Wes posted...using the high strings of a 12-string set on the bottom four strings of your guitar so that the low E, A, D, and G strings are up an octave. I've never used that tuning...the Nashville tuning I first heard about was the high 3rd tuning...you put a light string on the G string only. I did have a guitar set up in that tuning. It's nice because it's still full, but raising the G string an octave gives a nice high-end shimmer.

I think slack-key tuning refers to the "slacking" (loosening) of the strings...do a Google on "slack key tuning" and I think you'll find most of those tunings have most of the strings lowered in pitch.

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

slack key is hawaiian tuning. open g or open d, i believe. possibly dadgad.

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everybody. Now I are a little smarter. I did a little poking around on the internet and looks like this a studio trick to help out the rhythm section sometimes. I now recognize this and have heard it and thought that the artist was using a 12 string with some ungodly finger picking when in fact it could have been 2 guitars. Always something to learn in music.
Mark

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If it's only the 3rd (G) string that needs octave tuning to get that sound, you could always splurge for a Roger Mcguinn 7-string Martin guitar:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/HD7RM.htm
;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh boy, bad gas now. I just wish I could drop 4 grand on an instrument. [Look ma now wife]

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I use the High string version of Nashville tuning all the time. It really helps when your jamming with three or more guitarists so you can be heard thruogh the mix. I've never had any problems with tuning or intonation. Never done it on my Strat, been thinking about buying a semi-hollow for open tunings and slide, might high string it instead, to see how it sounds amplified.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote