Clear all

Hotel California - No Capo?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@distortion5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ive recently gone back to learning Hotel California and was wondering if its possible to play it without a capo (barre 7the fret with index finger), or if anyone does this? Thanks.

bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Yep, i've done it. It took me a while to get it because i have a bad habit of poorly fretting the G string.

But its possible.

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

Yeah, that's how I usually play it on electric, although it's a bit harder on acoustic with the heavier strings. You don't need to keep the 7th fret barred at all times either, like with F#7:

---
-7-......1st
-9------4th
-8-......2nd
-9-......3rd
---

I also find it sounds better with the A major as a C shaped barre at the 12th fret than a D shaped barre at the 7th.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I learned to do it because i didnt have a capo but when i play it now i use a capo (im not that great at barreing, i have weird fingers). I find it harder and unnecessarily difficult (i havent played it in a while with barreing actually) but whatever you want.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

Izabella, it's easier if your just strumming the chords on electric and then have to play the solo. Of course, it is possible to play the solo with the capo on, I just think it's easier to not have to worry about it getting in the way, and bending is also easier without the capo. But if you're playing the acoustic part, Izzy's right, it is easier to just throw the capo on.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I usually rail some crack and let it fly....

or use a capo

Kido

ReplyQuote