Clear all

how can these chords be?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, i downloaded a tab from powertabs.net, and in the song it has an E5 over the chord and it is played 222xxx, shouldnt that be 0222xx, and it has D5 over 000xxx, which shouldnt that be x577xx? It says they are "5" chords, or powerchords, but i didnt know you could play them with just barreing one fret? What is going on here? By the way the song is monkey wrench by the foo fighters.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The song is in drop D tuning, i.e. standard tuning, but with the low E string retuned down one tone to D - DADGBE.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

Ok, i downloaded a tab from powertabs.net, and in the song it has an E5 over the chord and it is played 222xxx, shouldnt that be 0222xx, and it has D5 over 000xxx, which shouldnt that be x577xx? It says they are "5" chords, or powerchords, but i didnt know you could play them with just barreing one fret? What is going on here? By the way the song is monkey wrench by the foo fighters.

Your tab is for a song in Drop D tuning, which means the low E string has been tuned down to D. Once you've done that, you play power chords by barring the top (low) three strings. 000XXX becomes a D5 power chord, 222XXX becomes E5 etc...

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ahhhh! makes sense to me now! I'll stick with standard tuning. Its no good to me because I love the Foo Fighters and a lot of their songs I think are in different tuning. Oh well I'll just keep going at it.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Nah, just drop that low e down, it's a piece of cake.

Then afterwards, start jamming on 'Unchained' by Van Halen.

You'll love it. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Damn, everyone beat me to it....now ill have to think of some other explanation so I can feel like I made a good input. So this is what happened, when this song was made, it was prior to the development of tones as we know them....they were in fact called....uhhh....

Yeah....drop D tuning...... :roll:

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

am i the only one in the world who would never go from standard tuning on a guitar??

its just...wrong, "cheating" in a way, i dont know how it is.. but things just get so easy in like Drop D..

.. Standard all the way.

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

Thats kinda the point of alternate tuning, that and to get tones and sounds you just cant get in standard tuning. Even Drop D tuning allows you to get new sounds...even tho if it is only two notes a lot of the styles that like to use drop d you can really play with out the two extra notes.

thats my view anyway

micheal :)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

You have to be kidding!! How is it cheating? I think the sound that comes out of the amp is what's important. It doesn't matter if you use open tunings, drop tuning, capos, slides, etc. It's all part of playing guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

I would much rather play in drp D or Drop C anyday before playing in standard. To me standard is like what everbody else is already doing. there's nothing wrong with standard. I think it really depends on a persons style really. but i just happen to like the bassier tones you get out of drop tunings.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I myself don't give me a flying donkey about how the sounds come out of my amp, as long as they were there. If there was a 'instant cool solo' button on my guitar, I'd had no shame using it. I do stick in standard tuning, because it's a pain to change tunings with a floyd bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Tunings with a fifth on the bottom are handy for drones.

ReplyQuote