Skip to content
How do you deal wit...

Notifications
Clear all

How do you deal with people not liking your stuff?

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

So when you say slide it to the 9th fret do you mean

string 1: ---10---   D
string 2: ---10---   A
string 3: ---0---     G
string 4: ---0---     D
string 5: ---9---    F#
string 6: ---10---   D

The only dissonant note is the open G because it's a half step from the F#.  We could call it a Dsus4, eh?

Or did you mean:

string 1: ---9---   C#
string 2: ---9---   G#
string 3: ---0---   G
string 4: ---0---   D
string 5: ---8---    F
string 6: ---9---    C#

This seems like it would sound like ----.  Normal C# would have the notes C# F and G#.  Yet we have the open G fighting with the G# and the open D fighting with the root note C#.  This will be fun guessing at this chord.  How about C# augmented major 7th.  And if not, at least it has lots of notes.  Wish I had my guitar here at work to hear the dissonance.

Oh yea, play one of those AND sing out of key?  The singing out of key  I can do all the time without much effort.  I like the idea of putting out some bad stuff so the audience will never hear anything that bad so everything from there will be gravy.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've never thought what chord it is or even the notes. it can be used on other frets too.
all I know is it live's in its own world....LOL

E|---|---|--4|---|---|---
B|---|---|--3|---|---|---
G|0--|---|---|---|---|---
D|0--|---|---|---|---|---
A|---|--2|---|---|---|---
E|---|---|--1|---|---|---
................9th

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@storymwstring)
Eminent Member

Be yourself!  

Sing what comes naturally to you; if John Denver had tried to sing with the group "Kiss" he would never have had a career.  

Denver was a very shy guy as well and he learned to overcome it.

I hope to hear your song voice sometime, hang in there!

How come you fret the guitar upside down?
I just want to play all day

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about it.  I've got a basement full of people that didn't like my music.  They don't complain so much anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hey, nick,

You're too soft. I figure if you stopped feeding them they'd completely stop complaining.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lethaldosage)

Well, I started a band only about two or three months after I began playing guitar, and of course at that point the only people who would hear any of our stuff were parents/family members. Of course, they didn't like our music, and now one year later, they say we've gotten better, which I know is true, but I also know that they will never actually completely like our music, simple because they're not into metal, which is what we play.

At this point, there are lots of people who know I have a band, and infact most of them like our music.

I have no problem with the fact that some people may not like our music, because I understand that everyone has different tastes...but what does get on my nerves is how people express the fact that they may not like our music.

Like for instances, how the same person constantly approaches me, simply to tell me how he thinks my band sucks (Though, I have the last laugh because just about everyone who knows this kid hates him.)

When people act like first graders in regards to disliking our music, that's when it upsets me, and infact gets to me.

Just about everyday, that same kid says the same thing, and it doesn't get to me as much anymore because everytime I start jamming with my band, and write new songs, I realize that we don't suck.

As long as you enjoy what you're playing/singing that should completely overule the fact that people don't like your stuff.

:)

ReplyQuote
(@knotwilg)
Eminent Member

I meet not so much dislike as indifference. But there have been people telling me they don't like what I'm doing. Here's the trick:

For every person telling you they LIKE your music there are 99 others who like it as well but couldn't be bothered to tell you that. People who tell you they DON'T like it stand alone. People who are indifferent stand alone too. It costs much more energy to praise than to break down or say nothing.

So what you have to do is to make that one comment of praise and encouragement resound and vibrate through your brains and veins as if a 100 people were shouting it at you. The noise of enthusiasm and joy will quickly overpower the humming of the indifferent or the lone voices of the negative.

Of course, if someone offers you well thought criticism you have to carefully listen to it: if hard work is the womb of improvement, comments are the semen.

Also, it helps to know what you are good at. If someone tells me that I should find someone else to play the guitar instead of me, I say "of course, sure." If they tell me a cute girl would brush up the stage, I'll happily agree. If they tell me another singer could do the trick and someone else should write the lyrics I am likely to ignore that comment.

Dieter

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2