Notifications
Clear all

How Long Have You Been GAS Free?

54 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Means to an end as Helgi mentioned. Last thing I bought (Fender Bassman 100 combo - the tiny, light one) was back in December or January. More utilitarian - needed a bass rig to use on gigs.

BUT...I have a saved search on eBay with the sort set at Recently Added (Musical Instruments - lap steel). Those olden-time flat lap-steel bars get to me, as do the Electars you see every once in a great while - the ones with the Deco designs on them. The National New Yorkers too - pretty much any lap with the controls to either side, since they're easy to convert lefty.

Then, exerting just a tiny bit of force, I can build up a little GAS by visiting the Rondo site and imagining how it would be to play one of their fretless J-basses. Continuing that 'line of thought' I try to decide if the long- or short-scale version would be better since I have that Turser Beatle I'm always using, and then I remember another Beatle copy I saw (can't remember the brand; Galveston maybe?) that was fretless, and check for that, realize Rondo now has their acoustic lefty basses back in stock, quickly put that out of mind and then remember MusicYo.com and the Steinberger imports they have there, think about how easy it would be to make a lap steel out of one of their guitar versions, and then I'm back at square-one again.

Doesn't happen often though. I come back to reality pretty fast. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I can't justify more than that.

Sure you can! :wink: :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Two months ago I got a SM57 and a Casio digital piano (PX-110), in addition to my electric and acoustic. The next thing on my list is some kind of acoustic/electric cutaway with pickup, so I can go out and do small gigs. But first I have to write a few songs, so until that happens, I'm don't need anything...

edit .. I should add separately that even though I really like my Seagull, for some reason I have always wanted a Yamaha acoustic.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

That guy with the pitchfork has been too tempting this year :-( (carvin CT-6 in May, and lately, Boss CE-5, Danelectro Daddy-O pedal and Tascam 414 from ebay ..)

I am pretty ok on GAS for the big stuff, I planned the CT-6 over many other guitars I looked at. But, the little stuff, like pedals get me more easily..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Margaret, here is a picture of the beer guitar before I took it apart to replace that huge bridge, re-lacquer, and add new pickups.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

That beer guitar looks really nice Dali!!! Good job.
I've been GAS free since Memorial Day when I bought my 70's reissue Strat and Line 6 Spider II 115 (or 112, i can't remember), and I really like them both!! However, the GAS meter stays lows when the wallet is near empty!!! ; )

-Alex

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Margaret, here is a picture of the beer guitar before I took it apart to replace that huge bridge, re-lacquer, and add new pickups.

Nice...I had a guitar similar to that. It was an old Fender HM Strat. I stripped mine and refinished it with red duct tape. It's now become my fretless guitar.

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I haven't released any GAS for a year and two months, now. Well, I did buy a nice hollowbody Ibanez a couple of months ago, but I gave it to my son.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

So, the meaning of GAS is quite clear, but after a few minutes of searching, I haven't found what the acronym actually stands for.

Someone clue me in? :)

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

So, the meaning of GAS is quite clear, but after a few minutes of searching, I haven't found what the acronym actually stands for.

Someone clue me in? :)

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome OR

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

or

Gotta

Acquire

Something

for those who have it in other areas of life where even guitars fear to tread...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

Cool, thanks a ton.

Gotta Acquire Something is much closer to my habits. I could make a laundry list of things I "need" with a price tag of over $200. :D

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Maybe we could start a chapter of GA ( Gearoholics Anonymous) R parker seems to have been good lately, he can be a sponsor..Hi, I'm Ken and I'm an gearoholic....NAW, what fun would that be :lol: I've been gassing for a new acoustic electric, and a Epi valve Standard, another EVH, and a new speaker cab for the EVH :twisted: ..Hey its cheaper than a bass boat :lol:--the dog

BTW, my latest gas items. EVH, Dano eq, Tubulator, and the attenuator(that was home made).

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Man, I've been better than good. I have not even gotten any new chrome for my Harley this year. I even shattered my favorite baseball bat and have yet to replace it. I think it's an illness.

I tell ya, between the LP, Strat and Tele, and the GT-6, there's not a sound I can't get. I guess I can always get a 12-string, but I have enough trouble with the 6 I got. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

About 2 1/2 months since I bought and built my Weber 6M45P amp (Plexi 50 clone sorta). However, now (of course), I'm looking for an attenuator, so I can turn the thing up beyond 2. If I hadn't just gotten this big mother of an amp, I would be really tempted by those Epiphone Valve Juniors that everyone's talking about...

TZ

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4