Clear all

How much do you practice each day?

68 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
11.9 K Views
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Erm, being a student still, I have a lot of time to not do much... During weekdays I spend around five hours a day practising, and then at the weekends, depending on what else might need doing, its prolly seven a day, so probably about thirty to forty hours a week. :)

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i used to practice a lot more, but then my first teacher died. :!: :(

i still look forward to playing a lot but by the time i get home from school i'm usually too tired. sometimes i get struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration and motivation at about 10pm but if i don't sleep then, my school marks would suffer.

i got a new teacher, but he always forgets to come to lessons ....
Wow thats sad bro...stick with it....get a new teacher.

We only get better.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

We only get better.

Amen. In fact, I think half of becoming good at anything is the dedication to being better as opposed to the actual thing you want to do.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

V, you gotta explain "i got a new teacher, but he always forgets to come to lessons ...." :?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Wow "V" you are tough on teachers, one died and the other went senile... :lol:

I actually remember when I was in my late teens and was taking real lessons and I had 2 teachers that died and one retired early.. It seemed to me at the time that no one either lived or worked past 40 or so. On the other hand I always wondered if I was causing it.

Keep plugging away..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member

well, he just doesn't turn up you see.... i take my lessons at school after hours, and we're supposed to meet in the music rooms there.

thanks for your kind words.. you are all very inspiring...

ReplyQuote
(@nobigetosforme)

i play whenever i feel like...not too often tho cuz i don't have an electric guitar so it's not really fun playing hardcore metal on an acoustic...but my parents say if i played more they would buy me one but i have nothing to play on an acoustic...just doesn't sound good to me and is not appealing...plus my parents lie about the whole "buy you a guitar if u play more" thing cuz they can't even afford an electric...neither can i...if anyone's feeling charitable send me a dollar to 1714 W. Nopal Dr. Chandler, AZ 85224 haha laughing out loud just kidding...ha...ha...ha...

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

plus my parents lie about the whole "buy you a guitar if u play more"

John lennon sang a song that talked about Karhma, check it out it...

Stick with the accoustic, any practice is better than none, metal is not my thing but ask around maybe someone thats into metal could offer some suggestions until you can get that electric.

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

Dedicated focussed practice time...

That depends on the problem spots I find and whether I feel the need to work on them. If it's something I really want to fix then 100% of my time. Which varies from 0 mins on days of uni and work to maybe around 2 hours of weekends/holidays.

Work for perfection everyday, everyday you will get closer

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I have a minimum rule... not counting warmups, I do 30 min acoustic, 15 min electric, and 15 min classical each day, so that's an hour. I do that minimum maybe a couple days a year - the rest of the days I'm usually double that, for about 2 hours a day. That's my dedicated practice time, which covers technique, chord voicings, and a bit of sight reading.

After that, I've got 6-8 hours of band rehearsal time a week, and probably another 1-3 hours where I work on my parts for band tunes - transcribing things and learning the lead parts. So at least another hour a day average on learning the 'practical' guitar stuff, but that goes in clusters - 3 hours one day, none the next.

When I'm bored, I grab a classical and work on baroque stuff, or the strat and play with jam tracks, but I probably only do that 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for hours.

Teaching and performing is more guitar time, a lot more when I'm busy... but I don't count any of that as practice. I've probably got a guitar in hand somewhere between 5 and 12 hours a day when you add it all up.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There's a very similar thread on the forum you might want to check for responses too:

Practice Time thread

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah but that thread isnt producing half the hostility as mine... :roll:

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yeah but that thread isnt producing half the hostility as mine... :roll:

Kido

Is your thread producing hostility?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

LOL, not more then a week and a half ago this thread was put on lock down, I think it was something to do with my lessons threads being deleted for being too long or something. They deleted the posts that were irrelevant and locked it, some kids were arguing with the administration. Aparently they opened it back up.

Works for me. I think this is an important topic.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

They deleted the posts that were irrelevant and locked it, some kids were arguing with the administration.

Which begs the question: Is pup still with us? Haven't seen any recent posts from him.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5