Clear all

How to sing the Blues - humour. Enjoy

35 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

:D :D :D :D :D

i grew up in new orleans and kansas city so i guess i can lie about the rest. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah but these days it'd have to be "Visually-Challenged Lemon Pledge".....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ah but these days it'd have to be "Visually-Challenged Lemon Pledge".....

Vic

I dont know Vic. Pledge makes it sound like too much committment. What if you want to change your mind tomorrow. Maybe "Visually Challenged Lemon Give-it-your-almost-best-shot"?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I came across this the other day, when I was looking for open tuned blues lessons. I thought the Maggie Thatcher one was good...mean, but funny!

Edit: The Maggie Thatcher one isn't there. Sorry. This must be a selection of the ones that I saw.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Can we have British Prime Ministers? Cos then I could be Bald Bramley Callaghan 8) It has a certain ring to it, and a Bramley is a good old English cooking apple ...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That works on two leves PVTele....your initials would be BBC, and the BBC gives me the blues every January when I have to fork out my License fee....

Oh and welcome to GN....yay, another Brit!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Good to meet you, Vic!

Which Newton-le-Willows do you come from, N Yorks or Merseyside? I'm in Wool, Dorset - very cold & damp just now, I'm afraid ... but lovely from spring to autumn ...

Cheers

Mike

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

nice list.

-limp kiwi lincoln

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

King makes an excellent blues name (B.B., Albert, Freddie, Earl). If you can't be a King, other titles work (like Duke Robillard) - but be careful there... you might end up becoming Prince or something. You can also get an academic title to work for ya (Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Doctor Clayton)

If you're not into royalty or academia, size works. Some folks think bigger is better (Big Bill Broonzy, Big Walter Horton, Hollywood Fats, Big Joe Turner, Big Boy Cudrup, Big Joe Williams), while others figure the crowd always roots for the little guy (Little Milton, Little Walter, Pee Wee Crayton, Guitar Shorty, Stick McGee)

Some folks go with colors, but stick to the primary ones (like Tampa Red, Bobby Blue Bland). Mauve and Chartreuse are definately out.

A few take position in the family (Uncle Red Turner, Sonny Freeman, Sonny Boy Williamson, Junior Walker, Junior Parker).

Food works too (Jelly Roll Morton) or animals (Howlin Wolf, Duck Dunn).

If all else fails, get someone to give you a cool nickname (Shuggie Otis, Scrapper Blackwell, Magic Sam, Sippie Wallace, Skip James, Furry Lewis, Nappy Brown, Chippie Hill, Fuzz Jones).

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

My nicknames when I was at School were Batman, quickly followed by Tasty Al (shortened to "Taste") - don't ask, I never understood it either.

So - Tasty Al Green is sort of almost halfway there, but I think I'd have trouble calling myself Batman Green. Ah well.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

How about "Tasty Batman Al" 8)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

So - Tasty Al Green is sort of almost halfway there, but I think I'd have trouble calling myself Batman Green. Ah well.

Just rework the order: "Tasty Green" Alan

You'll have to do something with it, though - there's already an Al Green in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

haha funny list :D

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

"A man with male pattern baldness ain't the Blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. " that line cracked me up for some reason

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3