Skip to content
How to stop feedbac...

Notifications
Clear all

How to stop feedback noise on semi-hollow body?

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kika-moon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys any tips on suppressing feedback noise on a semi-hollow body?

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

How is it miked? Internal p'up or a mic on a stand? If it's the guitar, it's probably a cheap p'up that keeps feeding back the bass end of the guitar body. They need to be put on a non-conductive mount to fix it yourself real cheap. The mic on a stand just needs to be moved around a bit. By "semi-hollow body" I am assuming you mean an electric guitar that's not got visible p'ups on it.

:?:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keep the sound holes pointed away from the amp and the mike. the volume knob is your best friend; turn it down.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey guys any tips on suppressing feedback noise on a semi-hollow body?

Change your position, and/or turn down.

In general, move away from, and face away from, your amp when using a semi-hollow or full hollow body guitar.

Advanced option: Do a Ted Nugent and USE it. Walk around the stage or room and find out where each note gives feedback. Mark the spots. You can get a number of really beautiful and unusual sounds this way.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

USE it.

Bingo...give the man a cee-gar!

This instrument makes all sorts of sound that you may find 'wrong' until you can get a handle on it.

Great advice...use it.

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Do a Ted Nugent and USE it. Walk around the stage or room and find out where each note gives feedback. Mark the spots. You can get a number of really beautiful and unusual sounds this way.

I think Ted took that from Carlos (Santana). He always walks the stage at soundcheck and marks the spots where he wants to be to get the best feedback - I think he uses chalk, and literally marks the spots.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Long ago...in some tech jounal..when things were printed and snailmailed...I read something Frampton wrote (I think was) called Trigonometric Microphone Setups. He kept a mic facing his speaker cabinet and another one shooting down a hypoteneuse toward that same speaker...and chalked the mark on the floor for his faceoff between pickups and that same speaker cabinet.

Good insight, Matey!

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Noise gate anyone?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kika-moon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok well it an epiphone sheraton ii. it's a great guitar and it sounds great but one my distortion pedal is on the buzzing goes crazy!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you are hearing buzzing, you aren't getting feedback. Feedback is a screaming, whistling sound, caused by specific frequencies creating a cycle of stimulation. Buzzing is more associateed with poor connections or duff electronic components (and not just in the guitar).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ok well it an epiphone sheraton ii. it's a great guitar and it sounds great but one my distortion pedal is on the buzzing goes crazy!!!!!!

That's a whole 'nother problem. The distortion pedal adds gain and amplifies and buzz or hum that may be caused by other things.

Does it go away when you touch the strings? That may be a grounding problem.

Tell us about your pedal chain. What's in it?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@kika-moon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It goes away when i touch the stings and it's all i have in my chain. Guitar, distortion and amp. I get the feedback howls at higher volumes through the pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

It goes away when i touch the stings and it's all i have in my chain. Guitar, distortion and amp. I get the feedback howls at higher volumes through the pedal.

Ok - sounds like a possible grounding issue. Here's some stuff to check:

Are you using a power adapter to power the pedal? If so, unplug it and run on battery only to see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's likely you have a ground loop or polarity mismatch somewhere in the power supplying your rig.

Possible solutions:
1) make sure the amp and any pedals are being supplied by the same circuit. The easiest way to do this is to use a power strip so all power comes from the same wall outlet. This will reduce the chance of a ground loop in your setup.
2) IF you still get a buzz after doing number one, and your power adapter has a two-blade unpolarized plug (the blades are the same size) unplug the adapter, and rotate it 180 degrees so the blades change slots in the outlet. This will reverse polarity on the power feed to the pedal.

If neither of these does much good, then you may need to spend some time, effort and/or money to get rid of the problem.

First check for RFI. Get that buzz going good and loud, then stand in one place and slowly turn in place. Does the buzz go away when you face in a certain direction? (You have humbuckers, so this is mostly a "just in case" thing) If it does, is there a dimmer in the room? If there's a dimmer in the room, change rooms and see if the buzz goes away. Dimmers broadcast all kinds of radio freqs, and put noise into the power circuits too. They can cause a 60 cycle RFI buzz even in humbucker pickups.

Try these things and see if they help.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So . . . got this ironed out?

ReplyQuote