Skip to content
I bought a Vintage*...

Notifications
Clear all

I bought a Vintage* VEC J100N yesterday (*manufacturer)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've given my first £99 Earthfire acoustic to my father-in-law. A few weeks ago I went to a party and was asked to take a guitar, so I took my Taylor 314. As people got drunker, they got a bit heavy handed with it which made me uncomfortable so I decided I needed a cheaper 'beater' guitar that I could take to parties and be relaxed about sharing it.

I went to the guitar shop yesterday and played every guitar in the £79 to £600 price range. The range included Fender, Dean, Yamaha, Vintage and a few others. The best two (in my opinion) were a Taylor 110 and a Yamaha LL6. The Yamaha was acracking guitar, but at £450 it was more than I wanted to spend and it was too nice for what I wanted it for.

I kept going back to a Vintage VEC J100N (scroll down on here: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageacoustic.html ). The rrp is £189 and to be honest I was absolutely gob-smacked at the sound and playability for the price. I didn't actually go in the shop to buy a guitar, I just thought I'd try a few to see what I could get for a reasonable price. I played the Vintage back to back with £400 guitars and to me ears it wiped the floor with them. Then the sales guy plugged it in to an amp (Roland Cube 30 - same as I have at home) and it was marvellous. I couldn't leave without it, for fear of not finding as good an instrument for that money again.

We went to a bbq last night, I took the guitar and everyone who played it was impressed, especially in light of the price. THis morning I have been back-to-backing it against the Taylor and I love both of them. The Taylor does sound, feel and play 'classier' for want of a better description, but the 'boom' coming out of the Vintage when strummed is fabulous. I really feel that I have two acoustics that compliment each other and I have something I can take to parties and share.

Sorry for the long post. I guess the short version would be that if you haven't tried a 'Vintage' then I recommend you do.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've heard some positive things about their range of electrics - shouldn't be bad with Wilkinson hardware.

It just shows that the "budget" lines can also produce good gear.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote