Clear all

I guess practice does make perfect

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, I have asked many questions here on GN, and the help you all have given me has gotten me where I am today. But lately (the past month or so) I have been working on playing mainly rock music. Well one morning I woke up and i just felt like creating some melodies using the major and minor chords. The last time I played anything with the major and minor chords it took me so long to switch. Now just last night I was switching between D,Dm, A, G, E,Em, just like that. I had no idea I had become soo good at playing the guitar. I had gotten so caught up in one thing (power chords and making riffs for rock music) that I didn't know how good I had gotten at the basic things. When you guys would say practice practice practice, I'd be like well I am practicing but nothings happening! I guess I was wrong!

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

It's funny how our failure to do one thing hides us from our ability to do something else...

Congrats on the progress. :)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The P word really seems to nag at alot of us, but it really is true. Its only through that P word that you can reach your full potential. Congrats on the progress.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@sport)

Congrats on your progress...Makes ya feel all gooy inside doesn't it
:wink:

Just remember that only perfect practice makes for perfect performances.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That's a great feeling to get.

Congratulations!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Man, makes me want to go and play right now! Can't happen (unfortunately), but I'm sure practicing will be a little easier toinght remembering your story. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Congratulations, I remember that feeling, swithcing through chords easily when I couldn't just days and weeks before. It's pretty great.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Nice work on the breakthrough. It's nice when that happens.

Congrats and enjoy. 8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've just this weekend nailed a riff I always thought would be way beyond my reach to play cleanly and at the speed of the original. Still not perfect, but it's a matter of polishing now, rather than managing it in the first place... it just clicked when I tried it for the first time in years :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I remember that feeling and it's great. I still appreciate that I can change chords clean and fast.It makes me think about my practice and that it actually pays of.

By the way, there's to many englishflags in this forum :P . Go Sweden :D .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I remember when first started learning chords. I had a chord chart with the main chords on it. It took me 15 minutes to learn three chords. I counted up the rest of the chords on the chart and I decided that it would take me 7 hours of practice to learn guitar :) I also thought that it was odd that dminor and f sounded the same (both completely muted :D)

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I remember when first started learning chords. I had a chord chart with the main chords on it. It took me 15 minutes to learn three chords. I counted up the rest of the chords on the chart and I decided that it would take me 7 hours of practice to learn guitar :) I also thought that it was odd that dminor and f sounded the same (both completely muted :D)

:lol: hehe...

I had the same thoughts. I learned 3 chords and thought I was well on my way. Then I went to GC and was strummin around on a nice epiphone acoustic and this older guy walks in grabs a guitar and just starts wailing!! :shock: I went home and started practicing again!!!

It is nice once things click. Like you said, your off working on one aspect and when you return to something you were working on previously, it just clicks.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote