Clear all

I just had a brilliant idea

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so what's the toughest thing about starting to play the guitar? Which one to get. Not only that, but which amp too. Here's my master plan.

Put together a master kit for $200. It come with a 6 string electric that isn't a POS. An amplifier that is OK, 15 amper, distortion or gain and may a few EFX. Also, a stand, bag, a couple sets of strings, pics, beginner's book.

Now, charge the customer the $200, but, garrentee a $175 trade in after three months. That may give people time enough to figure out what they want. Keep the pics, string, etc. The money the company makes is either when it doesn't get traded in, or, the upgrade in gear.

Oh, and the axe and amp do not have to be new. That way they can reuse. Call it a rental/bytoownortrade type of thing.

GC or Sam Ash or BMMG, I expect this plan to be established for the Feb marketing campaign. Name it what you want, but I think the rotalties for such an idea should be something like $5,000 a year gear allowance for 10 years. More if it's named after me or my likeness is used. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Great idea, just one downside: the customer gets more and the company less. Why would they want to make a mere $25 profut in three months? No, they'd rather have us buy the whole lot without trade-in and have us buy another set after three months. And yet another one after six months etc. On a sidenote: In Holland public musicschools have cheap instruments for hire for as long as you follow lessons, so if you start out you can play on a borrowed instrument in the beginning. Great system and works very well.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Harley-Davidson did a similar thing some years back. As I recall, they were selling entry level Sportsters for $4995, with a guaranteed trade-in of $4000 if the owners wanted to upgrade to a bigger Harley later.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Heck I could do that.

I've got a great guitar for a beginner.

We could create a beginner guitar program.

You want to start, I'll ship you the guitar for free. You can keep it for a month.

You are responsible for it's good care and shipping it insured to the next person who needs it.

Somehow I'd have to secure the guitar with paypal or credit card or personal check or something.

Wait forget that. What if I treat it more like rent? How about you pay me $100. That gets you the guitar for up to 4 months. The idea is you try it and if you like playing guitar you upgrade to your own guitar. When you do you ship it back to me I pay you back $75 and give $25 for the general upkeep of guitarnoise.

Ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Great idea, just one downside: the customer gets more and the company less. Why would they want to make a mere $25 profut in three months?

Think long-range. Think current advertising budget. How much $$ does it cost to bring a customer in the door? Who would you rather have as a customer? Especially a newbie who might get tons of gear in 5 years. No, the store actually does not make a cent. on the trade in. It's securing a customer who is gonna spend a bundle over the next few years.

It's like that Harley campaign Ricochet mentioned. You "know" that the rider is going to get something bigger when they learn how to ride. This way they got the guy locked. Of course, they still make a grand.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wait forget that. What if I treat it more like rent? How about you pay me $100. That gets you the guitar for up to 4 months. The idea is you try it and if you like playing guitar you upgrade to your own guitar. When you do you ship it back to me I pay you back $75 and give $25 for the general upkeep of guitarnoise.

Ideas?

Maybe throw in some cheap sunglasses and a black hat from Walmart?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote