Skip to content
i want to become th...

Notifications
Clear all

i want to become the greatest musician of all time.

75 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Chris: classical composers had the habbit of dying young. You don't have to start young unless you are absolute set on dying young as well.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dude, forget all that practicing and stuff. All you have to do is convince YOURSELF that you're the best musician of all time.

If you have a basically narcissistic personality, that won't be hard.

Lots of others have done it before.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I always ask the moon how to be a great musician. It's never wrong. Doesn't stop me from having arguements with it though.

I'll consider myself a great music when Weird Al Yancovic is doing a tribute song based on a song I wrote.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

damn good way to look at it owa :lol:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris: classical composers had the habbit of dying young. You don't have to start young unless you are absolute set on dying young as well.

True. :D

At 60 I've left my run too late to die young, so I was rather pinning my hopes on your soul selling strategy. Very disappointed to hear that it's unlikely to work for me either. :cry:

Bach made it to 65 though, so I've got 5 years left... don't think it'll be enough somehow.

The last straw I'm clinging to is to come up with some completely new way of making music, so that there's nobody else in my genre to compare me with. I have a sinking feeling that you are already exploring further up that track than I am though.. :wink:

Ah well, better just go back to enjoying making music and having fun along the journey... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Meet you guys just outside of Clarksdale, say, around midnight?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll consider myself a great music when Weird Al Yancovic is doing a tribute song based on a song I wrote.
Exactly! That's when you know you've REALLY made it, when Weird Al parodies your song.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

God made Jeff Buckley and Chris Cornell on her day of rest ;P

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Best musician of all time, eh?

If you want that, then put down the guitar. This isn't about the instrument.

Many people throw the word "musician" around, but then they focus on playing technique or something equally trivial. The instrument is important...but if you play an instrument, you're a player, not a musician. You want to be the best? Step back from the instrument, think outside it, don't let it hem you in. This happens to a lot of guitarists - they can't think outside their instrument.

Make music in your head. Learn to overstep boundaries, to shatter them altogether. Don't limit yourself to the technical limitations of a particular instrument. You want to share it with people, huh? You're either going to have to make it somehow, or communicate it somehow. Learn to read and write musical notation.

Want to be a musician? Study music. Not just rock, or classical, or whatever. Pssh. You want to be the greatest, you've got to do the work - there's music all around the globe, from all different time periods. Hell, there's music in everyday life that we pass over, we miss. Study different cultures and the music they make, and even study the habits they form that make music. In many areas of African culture, rhythm forms a foundation for labor. (I wish I had an example of this on hand.) Listen to the sounds around you - music is in the sounds as well as the notes, it's in the textures. It's in everything.

You really want to be the best? You can't just play it...you have to study it, you have to live it. You have to be the music. Then, perhaps you'll have a fighting chance.

If this is too much, just try to be the best guitarist of all time. It's much easier.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I want to be the greatest procrastinator of all time. I start my training tomorrow.

Actually, I'd settle with sloppiest guitar player of all time. I'm well on my way there! :)

lunchmeat, nice post, BTW.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Jason: well, you've got some pretty hefty competetition in the sloppy-scene. It ain't easy beating Jimmy Page's sloppiness during live versions of Stairway to heaven. And beating the Stones sloppiness will be extremely hard as well, bordering on impossible without a huge supply of drugs.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I always ask the moon how to be a great musician. It's never wrong. Doesn't stop me from having arguements with it though.

Weird Al hit the big time so to speak when i was in my early twenties, so I more or less grew up with him. The other day I listened to a parody he recorded reciently....I did not know the song at all :oops: ..that means Weird All is more hip than I am :shock: :? :oops: I think I'm getting old :?

Note to self....Pick up AARP card next week, Make sure my insurance covers nursing home care....how many guitars will the nursing home let me keep in my room....Thats OK....lots of aging rockrs my age...should be a few others in the nursing home with me :P

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I want to be the greatest procrastinator of all time. I start my training tomorrow.
I want to use more self-deprecating humour, but I'm no good at it.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

its funny, when people say jimmy page is so sloopy, but when you ask them thier influencrs his name is always in the mix, imagine that :roll:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

There has always been those that like to put LZ down for some reason :evil: I tend to ignore them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ( small minded people :lol: )

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5