Clear all

I'm Bad to the Bone

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK...not really but I've been practicing the main riffs for the song and I'm so happy. True, they're not complicated but I always wanted to play that song and now I can :mrgreen:

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, man! Open G, right? Or, did you find a standard tuning version somewhere? It' a cool tune. All's I've ever tried was the basic rhythm.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that's one I love to play along with, in open G like Roy said. Another one of George Thorogood's I always play is "Get A Haircut And Get A Real Job" - that song could have been written for me!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I found one on YouTube on the inter-webs that shows how to play it in standard tuning on the 2, 3rd and 4th string. Give a little extra sliding down to the 12th fret. The downside is I discovered my neck pick up tone control doesn't work...si I'm going to have to get it fixed. I think I'm going to order a new bridge pick up first (since it sounds icky) and kill two stones with one bird and have the pick up changed also. :(

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Got a link? I'd love to give that a shot, myself!

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love playing Led Zeppelin's rock standard riffs. Refreshingly bad to the bone !

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, to be honest I can't say how accurate this is but it works for me

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pfhkBGlF2c

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The three strings that he's using are the three that are not change when going to Open G (4=D,3=G,2=D). However, I'm pretty sure that you'd have to stay on those three strings. Either way, you're rockin! 8) 8)

Ever try open G?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Sounds pretty good! Easier than I thought too, thanks!

Haven't tried any other tunings yet, though I've been considering drop D for some Disturbed type stuff. Open G is a pretty good tuning for slide, right?

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have enough trouble with standard tunings right now LOL I also thing open G is good for slide guitar. I know that my From the Cradle and George Thorogood song books have songs in weird tunings like open G and stuff like that.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ahhhh, but it's not so. Open G is actually easier for some songs.Not all songs, but some. Bad to the bone being one. Pink Houses another, and many Stones songs....mostly 30-40 year old stuff. If you don't have a Floyd Rose style bridge, the tuning is a breeze. Most of the songs for open-G are just one finger bashing it's way up and down the neck. Sometimes a little hammer-on the 2nd and 4th strings for a little zip and you're done. David wrote an article about it.

I think slide players used a lot of G, A and E tunings.

Roy

ReplyQuote