Notifications
Clear all

improving

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've found a new way to work out of this rut. I'm supprised I, nor you all didn't think of this...

I decided that I was going to start the sunday song writing club for the heck of it, so I decided I wanted a tune to write lyrics to. So I looked over at the acoustic and un-cased it for the first time in maybe two or three months. I started playing chords. All the scale work I had done hadn't made my two hands work together, but had improved the strength of my left hand. Plus maybe they got longer. Anyhoo, I have never played better sounding barre chords, or chords in general. I'm going to play around with this weeks theme by learning some new chords, mainly minor chords. Plus I forgot how nice my acoustic sounds. It's a Yamaha FG700S. If anyone else here is a religious electric guitarist stuck in a rut, take a break and unplug. I'm enjoying it.

It's kind of funny how things work out. Although nobody really suggested it, Wes kind of foreshadowed it, by saying that you have gotten better, it's just that you mightn't have realized it yet. Like the analogy of the parent/child difference.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

> I've found a new way to work out of this rut.
> I decided that I was going to start the sunday song writing club for the heck of it.
> Plus I forgot how nice my acoustic sounds. It's a Yamaha FG700S.

Awesome!!

I switch between Strat (getting my Led out on weekends), acoustic (for learning cover songs), and my classical (for serious study).

Switching instruments is a great way to break out of a rut - whether it's switching between guitars, or a completely different instrument.
For a while, I was playing piano ... I got the Miracle Piano, which is for kids - initially they came out on Nintendo, and then on Mac.
I recommend it highly!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

I agree with all the guys on here - I've been playing 3 years and although I'm never going to be the next Bob Dylan, I'm proud of myself that I can actually pull off a few songs quite well. I was completely lost til one day a couple of years ago I met two guys on my local park with guitars and sat down with them. They showed me more in a couple of hours than i'd learnt all year. I went back home and practiced and practiced what they taught me. Last year, I met them again, and played them Scarborough Fair and they begged ME to show them how to do it!! It was great! I owe them so much for their inspiration. Being stuck in my bedroom, self-taught didn't get me anywhere - you really do need someone to 'show' you how it's done.

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2