Clear all

Improvising in major scales

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This is probably a difficult thing to answer, because there's not really any pattern or anything to help me, but I can't seem to get the hang of improvising in the major scale or mixolydian and lydian modes. It's pretty easy to get something nice sounding using a minor pentatonic, the different minor scales and dorian mode, but major-sounding stuff just seems difficult to make interesting. Is there anything you guys know about that could help me?

Also, I've heard that the Mixolydian mode is supposed to sound sort of bluesy, but I can't really get that sound out of it, unless I use it like a minor pentatonic with some major notes thrown in. Again, any tips?

Finally, (I know this may sound contradictory to my previous question), but I can't seem to break out of bluesy solo sounds. I've heard minor pentatonics used and not sounding like the blues at all, but I can't seem to use them like that.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any help!

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

While I almost never solo in a purely major scale, I think that throwing in major notes to a pentatonic scale(or going back and forth) is a skill. In fact, I was completely in the dark about it until local guitar great Rob Walsh showed me how to do it a few months ago. However, it does let you break out of that blusey feel(which of course has it's place). Major notes and scales are a lot harder to get to work, however, and take much more practicing, since the margin of error is smaller when improvising. All that I can say is keep practicing, since it's a great, and very unique thing to know!

One more thing: Soloing in a purely major scale is awesome too!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Shadychar,

I know exactly what you mean. I asked my teacher the same thing although I don't really remember his answer.

I have the exact same problem. When I improvise using the minor pent I can almost make something sound pretty good...at least to the untrained ear...but when I try and solo using the major scale I rarely if ever get anything that sounds good.

My teacher did give me a backing track in Dmaj to try to improvise to and it does help practicing it over and over although it doesn't feel as natural as using the pentatonic scale.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote