Skip to content
is their a better l...

Notifications
Clear all

is their a better looking/feeling electric than the strat?

49 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ya know, the longer I play, the more I tend to prefer a basic, dead simple rig. I've got five great amps and a Vox Tonelab SE to choose from along with five electrics that I love to death.

But the rig I seem to grab the most is my itty bitty, no frills, Vox VR-15 and my G&L ASAT. No effects, just an amp turned up to its sweet spot and about as basic a guitar model there is. That's when I have the most fun. That's when fingers my sing, or cry, or snarl.

I've left players with their Les Pauls and Marshall stacks blinking in dazed bemusement at the way my tiny little amp roars right over them for leads and slices through the mix without overwhelming the band, and then drops back to blend in for the ensemble sounds.

Plug in, turn on, tune up, and rock.

EFF -EX? We don' NEED no steenking EFF-EX!

It's magic.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I personally own a strat only, and I've gotten really used to it, so it happens to be the most comfortable thing I've played.

Other then that, the 335 comes in on a close second, I just love the way that guitar feels and sounds.

SGs are good, I sense I'm a bit slower on those then on strats. You can feel that the SG neck is a little bit thicker then the strat's. Other then that, I really have no problem with les pauls. Those are fine except when you start playing from 16 and up. That non existent top cutaway really starts getting to me.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

sito71 writes:
my appologies on the one long paragraph ("strats is there a better....")...totally my fault...it IS a pain in the donkey to read but thanks for taking the time to do so

for some reason i can't seem to get links to work for me on this forum as of yet...
Also am sorry if i am on about this strat thing a bit too much...just really happy to have ended up with something i like this much after so much confusion...but i still say strats have the most inovative look/shape , that's why it is soo widely copied.

cheers - Otis

p.s. i actually was using the "enter" key to start new paragraphs while typing , however i didn't realize i should have been hitting it twice for a proper space between linesand didn't really pay attention to the final product as i should have..thanks fer the reminders!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I own a Strat, a Tele, and a LP. All are great for their own purposes. I do find however, that if I'm just going to sit down & noodle a bit, I'll usually grab the Strat more often than the others.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If I'm playing Blues I like my Strat better. It just has that tone. If I'm playing Rock, I like my LP better, it is darker. If I want to play Punk, I like my Tele, it is tight.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i use my strat for most anything.

i use my ibanez if i want to be a little chunkier and heavier...usually for rhythm parts.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

In guitar discussions, everyone mentions Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc. but no one ever mentions PRS. Maybe because PRS isn't all that popular on these boards. But to me, my silver-gray PRS Santana SE is the best looking, best sounding guitar there is. Really tastefully designed, and they don't all cost thousands. I got mine, brand new on e-bay for $400. In a store, maybe $750 or so.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

You can have your Strats and Teles and PRSs and whatever else tickles your fancy . When I bought my first real guitar I knew what I wanted , a Gibson Les Paul . Money wasn't a factor because I could have gotten any number of Strats for less than I paid .
It was all about the way it felt in my hands and the sweet music it made when plugged in . My brother owned a new strat and I prefered playing my Aria SG copy to playing his guitar . Just my two cents but I just had to weigh in because this thread was starting to sound like a Stratocaster love story and it's all about your personal preference . This is mine .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@molotovfolktale)

You're just gonna have to go out there and play a lot of different styles and companies to see what you like and what fits your needs and wants. I see so many different guitars on here and everybody has their reasons. Out of all the different guitars I've played over the years the 2 that I loved the most were my PRS custom 22 and my Ibanez S-series and both were for different reasons. I loved the S-series because of how it felt and played. The neck was so thin and easy to fly around on and the body was also very thin making it very light which I like when I'm playing and jumping and goofing around on stage. Out of all of the guitars I've had the only electric that I've held onto is the PRS because of its sound. Personally, I think it has the greatest sound but thats just me. Take your time and really look into what you are getting...unless you have a ton of money

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I personally don't like PRSs at all. I've given them loads of chacnes, just trying out their guitar wheneer I see it, and i repedeatly get the feeling that when I play their guitars (even the +$2000 models), it jsut feels like I have a toy in my hand. The guitar doesn't feel solid in my hands, or anything.

ReplyQuote
(@molotovfolktale)

Well...if by solid you mean strong then they sure don't break easily. I've dropped mine a few times from chest height at shows from being a little too aggressive and the worst that has happened is a couple of chips and something happened with the spring on a pickup but it was easily fixable. I'm not sure what solid feeling is to you but unless you plan on possibly slamming it down with a lot of force I think it'll be alright. :)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i played a PRS SE EG and i wasnt impressed. the neck was too fat and chunky for my small hands. the finish felt plasticy. but, it did feel solid. i felt like it could take a beating. but that said, the high end PRS's, like the McCarty or the ten top whatevers, are quite nice :)

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

when I say solid, I didn't mean as if you dropped it, would it stay together. I mean just the guitar in general, it gave me a feeling that I was playing a toy. (my best way of describing it) I can't really explain it, those guitars just seem "off" to me, like they were built wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's all taste. I myself can't stand LPs. I dig SGs Teles, strats but no LPs. Somehow they feel blunt and awkward compared to the streamlined and smooth strat, for example.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

To me, strats are best. Love strats. Especialy the classic ones with the huge headstocks. They just feel right.

Does anybody know if their super noisless single-coil pups are really all that noisless?

Yes, emphatically they are noiseless. As GOD is my witness. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4