Notifications
Clear all

It's time to be perfectly honest.

48 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Probably around 15 hours a week of very unstructured noodling. Usually just entertaining myself and coming up with new ways to sound bad. :)

No, I do actually warm up with scale runs which usually end with me playing bluesy, bendy stuff. Course a lot of it has to do with new purchases as well. With my recent Metal Zone purchase I've been finding myself in drop d and bashing away which I had really never done in the past. :)

With my Blues Driver xmas gift and my tele, well you can figure it out. :lol:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

Only 1/2 hour 3 times a day because the strings put indentations in my fingertips and couldn't fret the strings. Finger tips are getting tougher now, up to 2 1hr. sessions. Hope to get to 1 4hr session a day soon, no money but retirement has it's advantages!

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

when i am not buried in work at school about 28-30 hours a week

when i am buried with work about 10-12

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I try to practice one hour every day, usually weekends I can practice 4-6 hours, so around 10 hours per week. Sometimes I have to travel or make all day activities, in those cases it depends. I try to structure the practice but not always successfully, some days I'm very tired and only play for fun.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Sadly enough, maybe... 3 to 4 hours a week maybe. I used to play alot everyday but then I think my inspiration to play dropped a little bit, and I also have college, which isn't really an excuse but it caused me to directly focus on school work for a while since some of my grades slipped, so I think I should really try to at least double the time I spend. Oh, I also have a bit of a video game addiction, I easily play close to 20 hours a week of video games. :D

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@stratfetish)

Right around 4 hours a week but I have a 1 year old that requires alot of my attention. So alot of my time is spent with the kids but I am going to start practicing alot more.

So many guitars so little money.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think I average about 8 to 10 hours a week when I am working.

When I was between jobs (intentionally last summer and fall) I was averaging 4 to 5 hours a day. Boy do I miss that.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Again, this depends on how you define practice. I define it as having a guitar in my hands no matter what kind of noodling around i'm doing with it. However one of my 2007 goals is to be a bit more structured and make a real effort to push to get better. I probably practice 8-10 hours a week. That includes two hours on Mondays when I get together with some people for a jam session. This jam session for me, is the first time i've found people to play with and i was hoping i'd get beter from it. I've gotten a bit better but in ways I hadn't expected, like getting used to playing standing up. But be that as it may I try to do at least fifteen minutes in the morning on a new song or a chromatic scale or other kind of scale. That way, no matter what happens during the day I know I've at least gotten that in. Then when i get home from work, I try for an hour of whatever I'm not too tired to manage doing. Weekends I get most practice in but it's unstructured and probably some of it is wasting time. Right now I'm practicing using more barre chords because I look like such an idiot playing open position chords at this jam session i go to, when everyone else is playing barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd say on average 7-10 hours a week.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

pearlthekat

Hey, any practice is good, even if it is studying without the guitar. My daughter takes piano lessons and quite a bit of it is bookwork, identifying notes, chords, timing. She gets real homework and has to fill it out and turn it in at her next lesson.

Sometimes even just listening to music could be considered practice.

I know you want to play barre chords and you should learn, but it's actually better that you are probably playing different inversions from the other players. Every player has to find their own space, if you are all playing exactly the same thing, what good is that? And you don't want to always play the same method either. If another guitar player is strumming chords, I will usually pick the chords arpeggio style just to be different. Adds color and fullness and doesn't muddy the sound.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

That's a good idea. Next week i'll vary it a bit with some arpeggios. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

15-20 hours a week jamming...
1/2 hour a week lesson...
Doing something involved with music.....EVERY BREATHING SECOND (honestly, not exaggerating - I even listen to music while I am sleeping, hoping to get some of the vibes ingrained deep into my subconscious, plus most of my dreams involve music).

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Again, this depends on how you define practice. I define it as having a guitar in my hands no matter what kind of noodling around i'm doing with it. However one of my 2007 goals is to be a bit more structured and make a real effort to push to get better.

Exactly where I'm at too. 8)

If I'm honest about "proper" practice, then I probably manage 15 or 20 a week.... But unfortunately that's minutes not hours... :oops:

I pick the guitar up several times each day but I'm wildly unsystematic about it. Mostly I try and play through a few pages of simple songs that I'm allegedly 'working on' and I have a couple of 'teach yourself' books on music stands open at relevant pages to lure me to work on them.

I've been playing about 2 years now - minus about six months where I concentrated on clarinet and didn't pick the guitar up. I would hate to have me as a student... :(

Somehow I've managed to scrape up a repertoire of about 20 chords - mostly open in the first position - that I can change to or from quickly in pretty much any order. And the calluses on my fingers suggest that I have been playing reasonably often.

It's all quite shameful really, and I'd dearly like to put the pedal down on studying more frequently and more efficiently. But I can play some basic songs, and I sure have a lot of fun doing it.... so maybe next week I'll get serious about being stricter...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I know for sure on the weekend, I play at least 3 hours a day so theres six right now.

Some weeks I don't touch my guitars. Other weeks, I can't wait to get home and I forget about dinner and my poor dogs have to remind me they're hungry....lol.

On average I'd say about 10 hours a week.

Truly PRACTICE? perhaps only 6 hours of structured practice. The rest is REVIEW of what I already know but I guess that's practice too, cuz I'm getting better my learned material.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Maybe 3 hours a week. 4 if I'm really lucky. And that's all midnight oil time, not entirely optimal.

Job + overtime + work related travel + kids + kids activities (etc, etc) = not as much time to practice as I'd like.

But what time I do have is enjoyable.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4