John frusciante's Guitar Effects in Chili Pepper songs

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
22.2 K Views
(@berx182)
Topic starter  

hey, i've been meaning to ask this for a long time:
Does anyone know what guitar effect john frusciante uses in most chiili peppers solos? its obvious that hes uses a lot of distortion but theres that really crunchy sound he uses in the solos that sound soo good. so if anyone knows, please tell!

(@angryelephant3)
Eminent Member

I'm not really sure but if you go to guitargeek.com you can see his whole setup :D

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

john f. is my favorite guitarist and i don't even know. i don't think it remains the same from song to song. to me, all his guitar parts sound diffeent but then again he layers guitar parts in his songs. it always sounds to me like he's using a whole range of effects but i really don't know.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

john uses alot of effects. He is a stompbox fan from hell. He uses alot of fuzzdistortion units, a couple of overdrives (not many) and the very famed ElectroHarmonix synth. That synth adds alot to his solo bits.

But her is a run down of his pedalboard over the years.

Boss DS-2 Distortion - EHx Big Muff Pi - EHx English Muff'n - EHx Graphic Fuzz - Z Vex Fuzz Factory (he stomped on this ALOT!) - BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble (I know for fact he used this on the new album ALOT) - EHx Electric Mistress Flanger - EHx Micro Synth - EHx Tube Zipper - EHx POG - Dunlop Univibe w/ Footpedal - MXR Phase 90 - Ibanez WH-10 Wah (discontinued but he has a ton of them he even broke one at the concert at I was at) - Dunlop Crybaby - ZVex wah-Probe - EHx 16second Delay - EHx Holy Grail Reverb - Liner Delay and Filter Modulars - Boss Master Switch - Boss FV-50 Volume Pedal - MXR Micro Amp (pickup booster)

I know for the solo tour he took I saw him abuse the CE-1, DS-2, Muff, Fuzz Factory, Univibe, Wahs, and Phase 90. But I heard from his fansite he changes pedal like crazy and usually keeps a bunch on him at all times.

But a good overdrive and a fuzz and the CE-1 and a good wah can get you far with his stuff.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@berx182)
Topic starter  

thanks guys for the replies. i think know i know the effect, it maybe the fuzz factory. maybe. but just as an example, in the song 'torture me' on Stadium Arcadium', in the solo at 2:37 (amazing solo) he uses the effect there. its as if whenever he doesnt fret a note the guitar sounds crunchy and whiny. can anyone name a pedal(s) to to sum it down? thanks again :)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i just listened to it. I don't know what it is. sounds like static to me! he's amazing.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I know that he is a huge fan of subtle synth effects which could make replicating his sounds pretty difficult.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Excuse me for being lazy (because I'll check the song in a second) but I too enjoyed what you described earlier. I wanted to replicate it and so after some research and testing, I found that a bit of tweaking with a DS-2 and a CS-3 resulted in the "decay" when the note ends.

I love this noise and so it was nice to find out how it's done.

I'm sure other pedals affect this too, but these 2 pedals will get you a long way.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

On the new SA album John uses a lot of very thick compression in his solos, it's mostly that that gives it that fat, wall-of-sound character as well as emphasizing the string noise and such. On various songs he is using multiple amps at the same time, for example the Dani California solo seems to have a different sound on the left speaker compared with the right one.

Finally, John is pretty anal about using 'vintage' stuff. He generally refuses to play anything build after the sixties.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

On various songs he is using multiple amps at the same time, for example the Dani California solo seems to have a different sound on the left speaker compared with the right one.

I dunno if you read the interview with him in guitar world a few months back but he talks about how he helped to record Stadium Arcadium, he seems to really know what he's talking about. He's always using different effects, on By the Way there's "Throw Away Your Television" which has this awesome sounding solo break to it, i'm pretty sure he's just using a Phase Shifter but it sounds like a complete synthesizer.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure at all but that solo seems more like a Step Filter, a highly random filter. After BTW, on which he had some impact, he decided he wanted to be much more in control with SA. He probably thought the BTW production sucked just as much as I think it does. Good thing SA is an excellently produced album, I'm sure he's much more happy with this one. :)

ReplyQuote
(@goran-dulic)

Hi to all. I am a very big fan of RHCP and John frusciante. I play guitar but not much, maybe 30 min a day. I play rhcp and john's song's on acoustic guitar. Also I have electric guitar but it is not so fun without effects. So I am looking for effects that Frusciante uses and I found this. Strings - D'addario .010-.046 , effects -boss CE-1 chorus ensemble ,boss DS-1 distortion, boss DS-2 turbo distortion, Electro-harmonix english muff'n fuzz, Holy grail reverb, Big muff Pi fuzz, POG polyphonic octave generator, Electric mistress flanger, DOD G80 analog delay, Moog MF-103 phaser, Ibanez WH-10 wah, Dunlop DB-02 dime custom crybaby. So I hope that I helped someone. Sorry if my english is not so good. See you. chao!!!

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

if you go to guitarplayers website, http://www.guitarplayer.com there still may be an article on SA, and every track. It's been awhile since I've read it though. I know he uses a few Moog products, which I think are just too confusing. He's awesome though, and I'm still trying to figure out compression...

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That sound is basically just a big fat fuzz with a compressor. What makes it sound so ballsy is that there is practically no vibrato, really a big part of his solo'ing on that album.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Like pearlthekat, I am a confessed Frusciante addict. On Torture Me, the solo is pretty much full of fuzz, distortion, and compression. In a couple of the songs on SA, Frusciante plays a much heavier sound than he did on Californication, which is a lot like his music before his huge drug binge. I love how he mixes the old with the new to make great music. Anyways, one of the coolest (and unpredictable) effects he's used thus far is his moogerfooger pedal. Absolutely out of this world! 8)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2